• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colorizing black

Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried unsuccessfully to colorize a black image. The file type was PSD. The color mode was RGB. I used an Saturation/Hue adjustment layer. I chose the colorize option. The black remained unchanged regardless how I manipulated the hue/saturation/lightness sliders. I tested the same approach with a color object. It worked as expected. Am I correct in assuming that black is not considered a hue in this context, and therefore isn’t affected by the tool?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

No that would not be correct

See below

Start (no adjustment):

Lightness increased :

Hue changed with lightness still turned up:

Lightness up to max :

Is the blending mode of your Hue/Sat layer set to normal?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No that would not be correct

See below

Start (no adjustment):

Lightness increased :

Hue changed with lightness still turned up:

Lightness up to max :

Is the blending mode of your Hue/Sat layer set to normal?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha. I see my error. I left ‘lightness’ on zero. Increasing the lightness revealed the applied color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem. Glad we got it sorted

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, but it only works with increased lightness - IOW moving the values up from 0/0/0 thus turning black into "something else".

0/0/0 has no color by definition, and therefore no saturation. There's nothing to adjust, and nothing to colorize. No tonal adjustments work on pure black or pure white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Makes sense now. Logically, black is already as dark as it can be. Decreasing the lightness has no effect. However, once I increased the lightness, I was able to apply a different hue, adjust its saturation, and adjust the lightness in either direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No tonal adjustments work on pure black or pure white.

Of course - hence the need to move the lightness slider to change away from black .

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you know this, Dave.

I just wanted to be very specific about it because many people miss the significance of black and white in an RGB model. We see questions about this quite often (why can't I turn this black into green, using x adjustment).

In fact it's also related to the classic 100% view thing: People come in with a black and white line drawing, and try to "lighten it up" using a mid-levels adjustment, or some other color adjustment tool. And that seems to work, because the screen resampling turns some of that black and white into gray - until they flatten and are left with the very same black and white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good points Dag - and no problem at all

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines