• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I make interactive magazines with page turns?

Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trying to get the interactive page turns to work correctly on my 58 page InDesign interactive magazine, but I've yet to figure it out.  I have selected it on all my pages but when I export as interactive, the swf page turn is not an option in the export dialog window.

Plus, I have concerns about using SWF because this is not available on all mobile devices.  Am I missing a step or is this not available?  Right now when I create the page, you can only go forward in the document and not backwords.

Thank you for your time.

Kim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Have you looked at InDesign's Publish Online? It's not page flip but it does have page turn with the "buttons" you want. Why don't you knock off a few pages to show her and explain it can be viewed on any device, it's stylish and you can even throw in a few animations.

This course will show you how (you can get a free trial): InDesign CC Publish Online | Pluralsight

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right that you will be locking out mobiles, plus anyone who won't or cant install Flash. I advise you to make a standard PDF without page turns or interactivity. Many people (me included) actually find animated page turning very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response Test Screen Name.  I agree, I think it is just best to make it so they can print and take it with them if they want, but unfortunately, the client, in this case my daughter, is always right.  I have tried to explain to her the reasons it is not a good idea, but it is basically when all the other wedding photographer professionals are doing these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are HTML solutions for this but I find it annoying and gimmicky. Style over substance.

If this it to be displayed on a WordPress website there are plugins that will do it.

Bottom line however is that this is NOT an InDesign issue so I suggest doing some research.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned, SWF is an obsolete format and page turning effects are so yesterday, but if you must have it, have a look at this: PDF to Page Turner, Convert PDF To CSS3 & JQuery Flipbook | FlipHTML5

There are a number of similar applications for turning PDFs into page flip publications.

Those interested in producing publications for tablets etc, will find this chart useful:

(Reproduced with the kind permission of Keith Gilbert)

Pages from mobile-apps-chart.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek,  Thanks for all that great information.  That is a great option but not sure it will work for my client/daughter.  I doubt she will want the watermark on there for the free option and the $15 per month option may be outside of her price range.  Let me ask you this...

Can't I just make navigation buttons allowing people to press a translucent triangle located at the left or right in the middle of each page that will just take you forward a spread or back a spread?

If so, how would I go about doing that.  Meaning, it would be great to lay that out in pages so I don't have to do one for each of the 58 pages.  But, when I put things on pages, it would show up UNDER each of the items I have placed on the page, and in many cases, there is an image that takes up the entire page.

Thank you again for your time.

Kim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you looked at InDesign's Publish Online? It's not page flip but it does have page turn with the "buttons" you want. Why don't you knock off a few pages to show her and explain it can be viewed on any device, it's stylish and you can even throw in a few animations.

This course will show you how (you can get a free trial): InDesign CC Publish Online | Pluralsight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I havent even thought of using that because I am also a web developer so I didnt think about it.  I will make a copy of it and knock it down to a few pages and see if she likes it.  Hopefully I can find some tutorials on it. 

Thank YOU Derek.

Kim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek,

I don't see how you add animation.  Do you know of any good tutorials on this or information regarding file storage?

Kim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great lynda.com course by Diane Burns on animations:

https://www.lynda.com/Design-Techniques-tutorials/Creating-Animations-Adobe-InDesign-CC/368763-2.html

You can get a 10-day trial: www.lynda.com/trial/boblevine<http://www.lynda.com/trial/boblevine>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

I was a lynda.com subscriber for about ten years, but after going through a cancer scare in 2015 and incurring about $10k in medical bills, I had to cancel lynda.com along with cable TV and anything else that wasn't a necessity for living. I was finally able to go back to work and started looking for a job about 4 months ago.  I still do graphics and web work, but it just isn't steady income and I lost a few people after my issues with cancer.  So, I started a new job around the end of February and just passed all of my training last night.  I wont get a paycheck until April, and believe me... hospitals and doctors do not want to wait for their money.

Maybe after I have been able to work steady for a bit I can re-join lynda.com, but for now I will have to find my tutorials someplace else. 

Kim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm sorry to hear about your health/financial issues and hope you're doing well now. I did give you a 10-day trial link.

You'll need to give them a credit card but you can cancel any time in the 10-day window.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines