Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A3 PDF massive on A3 photoshop file?

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

Ever since i got photoshop 2017 (previously had 2015) i get a problem where i export a file on AUTOCAD as an A3 but then i go to drop it into an A3 file i have made in photoshop its absolutely massive. What am i doing wrong?

Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jeds,

Could you please post a screenshot of the issue?

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cant reply screenshot it as it won't show anything. If i create a blank a3 page in photoshop and drag say an a3 file exported from autocad the autocad file shows up massive (like 5x the size of the a3) this also happens when i drag previous a3 files made on photoshop 2015 onto the a3 made in 2017. any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You need to look at the resolution of your files.

A3 means very little. It is a physical size that is only relevant when printed out. Photoshop works with pixels.

For example if your A3 Photoshop document has  a resolution of 100 pixels per inch (ppi)  and your A3 document from AutoCAD has 300ppi then the AutoCAD document will have more pixels and will therefore look "bigger" in Photoshop at 100% zoom.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is likely with the export of your .pdf from auto cad. You can confirm this by opening the .pdf in Acrobat, and turning on rulers to check the size is A3?

There are multiple ways and many settings to create a .pdf from AutoCad, can we see screenshots of your AutoCad sizes and PDF settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The audocad file was just an example, it occurs with old a3 photoshop files i made last year. For example i just opened an old a3 file i made and using the ruler on the top and side of photoshop i can see the pages are the same size yet when i drag the a3 into my blank a3 it comes up massive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The size you see at 100% is completely your choice. It comes from the resolution you type (or leave unchanged) when you open and rasterise. Double resolution, double size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please provide a drop box link of both files. We need to know what you are working with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is actually very simple. The key is one sentence in Dave's post #3:

"Photoshop works with pixels"

Again, check your resolution settings, as this determines how big the pixels will print. Pixels per inch! Think about what that expression means, literally. If ppi figures are the same, it will come into Photoshop at the same document size.

But to Photoshop, physical size is next to irrelevant. It is only added as an instruction to the printer. An afterthought, as it were.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeds,

I think this is likely a resolution issue.

Lets forget about other applications for the moment as it clouds the issue.

I am guessing that the new A3 document you are creating has a low resolution by default.

You'll need to take control of that setting.

Why? - the "old" A3 Photoshop file you are bringing in and the new A3 in Photoshop need to be the exact same resolution in Pixels per inch or Pixels per cm.

Try this:

First open one of those old A3 Photoshop files you made - into Photoshop.

Just open, don't try to drag it into a"new" document (new file).

Go to image / size and check resolution there. Look at Pixels per inch or Pixels per cm. make a note.

Close the image file.

Now make a new file "file/ new" and when doing that make sure the resolution is set the same as your old file - in Pixels per inch or Pixels per cm.

Now try dragging that old A3 Photoshop file into the new document you made.

let us know how it goes please

oh, and when using the photoshop ruler to compare file sizes in this situation - make sure it's set to measure in pixels,

because a physical image "size" like A3 is only set by a resolution formula relating to file pixels i.e. "X many pixels = X inches"

I hope this helps

if so, please do mark my reply as "helpful" and if you're OK now, please mark it as "correct" below, so others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines