• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

pdf output scale

Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 42 page document intended to be used to make 8.5" x 5.5" booklets, which has worked fine on my home printers. I need to send this file, page by page, to a printing firm who have asked for the pages in a pdf file. When I output the pdf, with printer marks, the scale nearly fills the letter size, less some space needed for the printer's marks. The bleeds are trimmed, so the file is worthless, even if the printer could change the scale.

I am using InDesign 12.0.0.81 on a Mac.

When I output a ps file, the scale and bleeds are correct, but it outputs only one file at a time, which I can only open in Illustrator.

The document set-up says that the page is half-letter. It seems impossible to get InDesign to output this correctly. What am I doing wrong? Please?

Reading the manual has been no help.

[Moved from the Lounge (which is where you can "connect with your peers" from across all of Adobe's products for conversations that don't directly relate to help and support) to a product-specific support forum - moderator]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

You don't need Acrobat (the paid version). You can get the same printing from Adobe Acrobat Reader (the free downloadable version).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you know the size is off. Where are you measuring this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is an interesting question. I am loading the pdf with two different readers (including Adobe's Reader) and with Preview. Perhaps they just fill the page? Oddly, Preview shows the bleed properly (3mm beyond the cut marks) while Reader stops bleeding at the cut mark. But as you suggest, perhaps my printer can make this file fit the 8.5 x 5.5 form with some other software? The file cannot be directly scaled as the printer marks give it an unclear ratio. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I output the pdf, with printer marks, the scale nearly fills the letter size, less some space needed for the printer's marks.

Is this a result of printing test pages to see if there were exported correctly? Acrobat has a Fit setting in the print dialog box that will scale the contents up or down when you print. Choose Actual Size instead.

Acrobat Pross_001.png

Better yet, go to File > Properties > Description to check the paper size. What does it say?

Acrobat Pross_002.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My non-profit pays annually for InDesign. Does this mean that we have to pay more to control the output? I can specify the size I want in InDesign and can output a booklet on my office printer, but I was puzzled that I cannot output single page with the crop marks and bleed to scale to review.  It looks as though I have to buy Acrobat, unless my printer can use it.

Thanks very much for the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need Acrobat (the paid version). You can get the same printing from Adobe Acrobat Reader (the free downloadable version).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much Steve. This did exactly what I wanted.

Everyone in this forum is exceptionally helpful to a printing neophyte struggling to learn terminology way out of my depth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I output a ps file, the scale and bleeds are correct, but it outputs only one file at a time, which I can only open in Illustrator.

There's no reason to output postscript files. Use File>Export and use the PDF/X-4 preset. Exporting doesn't allow page scaling, so there's no chance the exported PDF would be anything other than 100% scale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using InDesign's Acrobat PDF Presets and selecting (unless your printer has specified otherwise) PDF/X-4, and then single pages (not spreads) and ticked Use Document Bleed Settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done this, but it has had little effect on the output, except that now the pdf extends the bleeds properly.

Perhaps what I want to do, see the printer images to scale on my office printers, is not something that people really need. The complexities of InDesign have been a challenge, but the capabilities are extraordinary.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per Steve ^^, Reader has the exact same settings in File > Print, and the same ability to see the document size in File > Properties > Description.

What is your document size as displayed in the Document Properties dialog box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The document is "half letter" or 8.5 x 5.5. It prints exactly as I want if I first output a pdf, read it into Adobe Reader, then output it in "actual size." That should have been obvious to me...it wasn't.

Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! That print setting (Fit) in both applications trips up a lot of people! Glad it is now behind you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Reader seems to have a save option that outputs the page at the scale I will print it. I have the embarrassing feeling that my printer has no problem with the pdf I sent in the first place, but having things printed in China create a language barrier that left me bewildered.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines