• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lost topic in .chm file

Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2008 Sep 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A topic I created does not display when I compile the files and view the online help. I even imported the file from a similar project and that still did not work. I cannot view it in the .chm file when I open it directly from Explorer either. Any ideas? I recently moved the project from my hard drive to a server, and I know that a MicroSoft patch may affect the other problem I have with getting the "Page Cannot be Found" error message. Could it also be affecting the file display?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 08, 2008 Sep 08, 2008
Thanks for the reply and suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community, Maggie

Is the .CHM actually residing on the server? If so, that explains it. You need to have it locally. Same goes for the project. Don't keep the project on the server when you work on it. Bad things happen and all sorts of issues can erupt.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick!

I'll move it back to my hard drive and just burn a CD each time I make a revision to it for back up purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

If your reason for having the project on the network was so you are certain it's backed up, it's fine to keep it there for that purpose. The thing you don't want to do is to open RoboHelp, open the project while it is on the network and work on it.

Most of us will keep the projects on the local C drive, work on them, then just as you would burn the CD for backup (which you may wish to do, totally up to you) we copy the updated project to the LAN so it can be included in the daily backup ritual.

The CD bit is good and I used to follow that route too. This is because it's been my experience that if you ever ask for something to be restored on the network, it doesn't happen immediately. It is much more efficient to just grab the CD and copy from there.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely understand what you are saying. However, we have been told we cannot have duplicate files on our hard drive and on our server. (Don't get me started on that decision!) To avoid further problems, I will just burn a CD. And as you said, if you need it quickly, it is probably better than waiting for server files to be restored.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've now moved my project to my C: drive and am still having the same problem. This issue is further complicated because my project is in our own version control app (MKS), not RH's version control feature.

Anyone have any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 05, 2008 Sep 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
When using your C drive, use a real folder directly under C: NOT under "My Documents" for example, C:\helpfiles. Regardless of the other issues this is one of the basic things to get right first.
Worth a try anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2008 Sep 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks for the reply and suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp