• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing from iPad with memory card reader

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a memory card reader for my iPad. Can I import the photos directly from card into Lightroom or will have to import into camera roll first?

thanks for your help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

You have to go to the camera roll first which is a limitation imposed by Apple. Only the photos app can access the memory card reader. This is also annoying as the Photos app will start syncing the raw files with iCloud right away. Some observations on that workflow here: Jao's photo blog: A mobile workflow with Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to Photoshop Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to go to the camera roll first which is a limitation imposed by Apple. Only the photos app can access the memory card reader. This is also annoying as the Photos app will start syncing the raw files with iCloud right away. Some observations on that workflow here: Jao's photo blog: A mobile workflow with Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Apparently there is a limitation in iOS that prevents third party apps from using the SD card reader. This is not a limitation on Android. The only way to work with the card reader  to go through the camera roll... And I can tell you that it is a slow and painful process.

There is another option... you can get an external hard drive, such as ones by LaCie or Western Digital that are made for mobile photography. They have built-in SD card readers, imporat directly to the drive, and because you can access the files via the Files app in iOS 11, they can be directly imported into Lightroom. This option also solves for the missing “backup on import” feature.

https://www.lacie.com/products/dji-copilot/

https://www.wdc.com/products/portable-storage/my-passport-wireless-ssd.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines