• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bad PDF error when auto tagging for accessibility

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to autotag a document to make it more accessible in adobe acrobat dc but when I select 'autotag document' I get an error that says  - "bad pdf error in processing fonts," does anyone know how to fix the problem?

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Ben,

In a perfect world (with an almost perfect document), you can just replace the font, tag, and be done.  But so much depends on the PDF's characteristics.  A few places to start, perhaps:

• Document Properties - Font Tab.  You know the offending font is a Type2 typeface.  See if you can isolate it here, so you know what/where you might want to change the font.

• Make visible (if hidden) the Order tab on the left, and the Content panel.  These two panels will list content tags by page.  Perhaps it w

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide some more details, please?  Does this error message occur during the PDF creation process, or do you have a PDF already, and are trying to add tags?  Is it Acrobat Pro DC that is giving the error, or is it the PDF producer... and if so, what method are you using to create the PDF?

Thanks,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to add tags to a PDF that has previously been created and saved to my computer from an outside source.

Adobe Acrobat is generating the error when I click on the 'Autotag Document' function under Accessibility. The error says:

"Adobe Acrobat DC was unable to make this document accessible because of the following error:

Bad PDF; error in processing fonts. <unsupported Type2 font> [3]

Please note that some pages of this document may have been changed. Because of this failure, you are advised to not save these changes."

​Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - that error message is pretty specific as to what the hangup is.  The document has a font that is hanging up the process.  Do you have a way to get your hands on the source document from which the PDF was made?  Is it a mostly, or entirely a text based doc?  I have had success exporting from PDF to MS Word, replacing offending fonts with a more standard typeface, and re creating a PDF from that source that has no difficulties with tagging/structure ultimately.

PDF are made so many ways, and by so many applications - there are surprises for all of us who inherit someone else's PDF files.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to figure out which font is problematic? Can I just choose the 'edit PDF' option in Acrobat Pro DC and change the fonts directly in Acrobat?

Thanks,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben,

In a perfect world (with an almost perfect document), you can just replace the font, tag, and be done.  But so much depends on the PDF's characteristics.  A few places to start, perhaps:

• Document Properties - Font Tab.  You know the offending font is a Type2 typeface.  See if you can isolate it here, so you know what/where you might want to change the font.

• Make visible (if hidden) the Order tab on the left, and the Content panel.  These two panels will list content tags by page.  Perhaps it will help find your offending font.

No two typefaces are alike.  Replacing a document's font with another (even if they appear similar) can often have disastrous & unwanted consequences.

Good luck!

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response! Under the 'document properties' and 'fonts' tab it shows that all of the fonts are either Type1 or True Type. I don't see any Type 2 fonts.

What would I be looking for to flag the bad font in the content panel? I have it open but it doesn't seem to show any irregularities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found it in the 'Content Panel'! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Excellent!!!

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try running the PDF through the free PAC 2 checker from Access for All (Downloading PAC 2 - Stiftung «Zugang für alle» ). It might pinpoint the first instance of the faulty font. You might even get lucky and find just a handful of rogue characters that need to be deleted or replaced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines