• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2017 can not save in place, requiring save as.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work for a Magazine that recently upgraded from CC 2015 to 2017.

The problem we are having is, when one of us opens a file for editing (that had already been converted from 2015 and saved & closed a few times) we can sometimes not "save in place" and are forced to "save as" with a new name.

That is to say, we "might" be able to "save as" with the same name and replace, but because of this anomalous behavior, we choose to save a new version of the file to be safe.

We don't understand why every so often we can't just "save". It behaves as if we just converted the file or as if it were a template, requiring a "save as". Version 2015 and previous never did this.

I have a theory that because the converted file may still have some "legacy code" in it, InDesign mistakenly thinks it was just converted - although it does not say [converted] in the file name title bar when this happens.

We all use Mac OS running the latest version of El Capitan 10.11.

And, full disclosure, we save to a Windows 2012 file server over AFP (not SMB) using Acronis (Formerly ExtremeZ IP). We know saving to a file server is not sanctioned by Adobe, MS or Apple, but the AFP service software has resolved all other InDesign issues we had using SMB protocol.

If anyone has seen this or has a clue as to what is happening (on a file server or a local drive) please let me know.

TIA

RS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save as .idml, open that and then save as indd again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Frans van der Geest (ACP)

To elaborate on your reply...

Is this a confirmation that the file still contains some remnants of the old version, despite it's previous conversion, saving, editing and re-saving?

I presume the .idml procedure is meant to strip the unwanted remnants out for a fresh start.

As a preventative measure, I don't look forward to repeating this procedure for the thousands of .indd files related to the numerous 300-page publications we produce

Any further confirmations of this as a fact would be welcome

Has anyone tried batch automating this procedure?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem... Each time I try to save a certain filename for the second time (after making some changes to the document), I get the error "Cannot save the document.  It may be opened by other applications.  Close applications and try again.  You may also use saveas it into a new document."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines