• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Are fonts supplied with Indesign free to use for commercial use if you only have InDesign CS2 version?

Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a small business idea for an etsy shop, where I aim to provide printable planner inserts for download.

Currently I am only using the very dated InDesign CS2 version which was a free download (which I understood to be a sort of trial version; please correct me if I am wrong).

My questions are as follows:

1. Is it allowed to use the fonts provided by InDesign commercially in the above mentioned printables?

(Especially the Adobe Caslon Pro would be of interest for me.)

2. Do I need to upgrade to a "full" version of InDesign in order to be on the safe side copyright wise and/or do I need to buy an additional license for the fonts I want to use?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

On behalf of Adobe Systems Incorporated ...

There never was a “free” version of CS2. What was posted was an installer and serial number for persons who previously licensed CS2 from Adobe and needed to reinstall it after the activation servers for CS2 were decommissioned a few years back.

If you never licensed CS2, you have absolutely no legal right to download, install, or use that software. The web page at Adobe is fairly explicit about that. We're sorry you missed that point or believed various

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> which was a free download

If you never buy this licenses before than it is not free, and not trial as you mistakenly think. Adobe was push this links for old users who can't now to activate their old licenses. Based on this you need to buy actual CC-version.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not entitled to use any version of InDesign without paying it. CS2 was never for free and only for those to be downloaded who have already licensed this version and because of the shut down of the activation server several Years ago Adobe gave the opportunity to download CS2. Therefore you are also not entitled to use any font which came with that download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i guess the other side of the question is: if you have a legitimate copy of InDesign, then you can use the fonts supplied with it commercially.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your quick input and making me aware of the programme license issue. I will get my full license version asap.

Am I right to assume that the therewith supplied fonts are for commercial use then (and agreeing with my project)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative Cloud subscriptions include Typekit. Those fonts are fully licensed for commercial work and embedding.

What kind of computer are you using? The system requirements are quite a bit more demanding for CC than they were for CS2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. I think I will have to look into some new equipment anyway and will keep this in mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

On behalf of Adobe Systems Incorporated ...

There never was a “free” version of CS2. What was posted was an installer and serial number for persons who previously licensed CS2 from Adobe and needed to reinstall it after the activation servers for CS2 were decommissioned a few years back.

If you never licensed CS2, you have absolutely no legal right to download, install, or use that software. The web page at Adobe is fairly explicit about that. We're sorry you missed that point or believed various urban legends posted over the web about such a “free” version.

With regards to your questions about fonts, any fonts installed on your system by Adobe CS and now CC software as part of your software license are licensed for commercial use including embedding in PDF (or EPS) files and rasterized or vectorized for static web use. You may not give or “loan” the font files to others. And you may not use them as “web fonts.” Web fonts are available via the Typekit subscription provided with many of the Creative Cloud subscriptions.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines