Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

eye dropper selects wrong color on current layer

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I've had this issue for some time.  And I've had this issue on two different computers running two different versions of Photoshop. 

When using the eye dropper tool, if I use "current layer", it selects a completely wrong color.  Current & below and All layers returns the correct color.

No, I do not have my sample size set wrong.  It's set to point sample, but I also tried all other settings.

The computer is a new fully loaded iMac.  See attached for specs.  Photoshop is CC 2017.  Also see attached.

I very often use the tool and need that current layer setting quite often, so any help with figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any and all help.

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 10.36.07.jpgScreen Shot 2017-03-24 at 10.48.00.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-24 at 10.49.18.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cześc

spróbowałeś użyc "wszystkie warstwy"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tak. To działa dobrze. Ale "bieżąca warstwa" nie działa poprawnie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt

The only way I could replicate that, with the top layer at 100% opacity,  is when the colour on the top layer being sampled (i.e. current layer) was semi-transparent i.e. brushed on with a brush set to less than 100%. This is correct as the sample picks up what the colour would look like at 100% opacity.

That way the colour being viewed ( a combination of the current layer and the layer beneath) looked different to the colour being sampled (the single layer).

Could that be the case here? Should be easy to tell by switching off the layer below and looking for a colour change.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for looking into it, but no.  That's not it.  The color is a solid fill on that layer which has its opacity set to 100%.  No brush strokes of any kind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

When you fill you also set an opacity and blending mode (so it's not just for brush strokes). But like I said - that should show when you switch the layer visibility for the layer below.

If it is not that - then I am a bit stumped as I could not replicate it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Naw, it's not as simple as that.  This is 100% foreground color fill in normal mode.  And the fact is, the eye dropper shows incorrect color in "current layer".  It shows correct color for all layers and other settings.  There are no strange opacity settings or strange fills or any of that.  And in fact, it happens in documents which have only the background layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Like I said I could not replicate it.

You could try a preference reset - but given that you say you have seen this on more than one computer then I am not sure it will help.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, already tried deleting prefs.  Tried uninstalling and reinstalling as well.  No luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I could not help - hopefully someone will come along that has seen the issue.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is helpful, but have you tried changing any of the tool settings for the eye dropper?

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 1.56.35 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, but I already answered that in the original post.  The sample size makes no difference.  The problem exists no matter the sample size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been following this bug since god knows when, and it still has no solution. Forum posts dates back to 2012, and I won't be surprised if there are older ones.

I guess me making another post about this bug won't change a thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you provide clear steps, preferably with a linked file and screenshots, that can be replicated. It is the only way any issue can be reported and, if there is a big, fixed.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines