• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Timing An Effect

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I am attempting to create a small video to display as my website background that consists of about 30 of my logos in rows. Every so often I want a logo to shimmer (using the "Old TV - Weak" pre-set). Right now, all of them are shimmering consistently at the same time, how can I program the effects to start/stop at separate times within the video? Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

$100K a year??? Amazing. You must be an amazing teenager. If you are paying your taxes that works out to about 1400 billable hours at $100 per hour of the 2080 hours a year you would work at a full time job 8 hours a day 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year. If you can pull that off and still go to school I salute you. That would be difficult for a graduate from MIT with a Masters in engineering to pull off in their first few years in their field. 

Try and develop a little thicker skin. You'll need on

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Um, you keyframe the appropriate parameters in the effect.

If you're asking this, I'm going to guess that you are:

1) trying to use AE intuitively or

2) watching AE tutorials on youtube made by high school kids

In any case, your AE knowledge is obviously spotty.  May I recommend a great way to get all sorts of AE knowledge that starts at the beginning, and builds on previous knowledge like Math class -- you don't take Algebra until you know Arithmetic, y'know.

Best of all, you get it from PROS, people who don't miss a trick:

After Effects tutorials | Learn how to use After Effects CC

Blow it off at your peril.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it have been hard to answer the question without the tone, not everyone is the genius you apparently are.  Also, I'll have you know that I may be a dreaded "high school kid", but I'm a high school kid that started his own business from his basement and now makes $100,000+ a year managing it himself. I will remember next time to go to a forum where people are much more respectful to those who use there software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must say, you matched his tone (yes, it was there ... ) and raised him some chips.

If you're going to work in a profession like this one, getting a bit of a toughened "skin" is part of the job. Anyone can get "tone" from someone else at any time ... it's Life. So, you check through the info given, take what's of use, and mostly ... just move on. Also ... Life.

Although, asking a very basic question like how to keyframe (which is a very basic editing step) ... doth indicate a lack of much knowledge or experience. His suggestion is actually quite in your favor, to get you up to speed doing vastly better work ... far faster.

I also highly recommend the subscription site lynda.com, for the excellent programs there on most any program. I've used it a lot over the last five years of editing work. We all constantly have to learn.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize I did not realize this adobe help forum was for experts only, I imagine you've never had a question since you started? Sorry I didn't open the complicated program and understand everything instantly. To be fair, with the certain effect I was using, key frames were not the problem!  I found my answer from a much more civilized gentleman in another forum, thank you for your time, I can link you to the website when it launches so you can see it if you would like!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tone, as I mentioned, is something to learn to deal with. Of course, I've had questions ... tons of them! And many right stupid ones, also. FAR more worthy of a rolled-eye than yours was! And yes, I got some "tone" at some of them. Which I expected, pretty much ignored, and survived without any scarring. Gee.

There's a lot of noobs around here, and the PrPro forum also. In fact, in AE, I'm quite a "noob" and have been for several years now. Some of the regulars that do help a ton (like Dave does) do try and elevate the people posting into better training & better working. For the benefit of the people asking the questions, as it doesn't help Dave or myself if you go add some lynda or whatnot to your knowledge base ... it helps you.

That's what most of us that help on these forums come to do, to help. Unless you see an official Adobe badge, the rest of us are all volunteering. So it's not "our software", we're just other users, mostly trying to make a living ourselves of course. And there's some dang knowledgeable people who offer hours a day helping others, and we don't get any pay for it whatever. Just ... to do it.

I'm rather more ... explanatory? ... than some. There's some here who expect that for professional programs, they shouldn't have to give too much detail ... someone asks for an effect to do something, they'll name the effect. Figuring one should be able to then look it up & figure out how to figure it out. I tend to give a lot more details to get people started with it. If you go to the Premiere Pro forum, you'll find in say Lumetri issues I've written long tomes on the ... delicate or complicated aspects of using that properly given the lack of documentation of how it really works.

But expecting the people who're helping you to grovel while doing so ... well, not particularly ... helpful. Wandering around reacting to people ... also not particularly helpful.

Just use stuff to learn and get the work out.

And btw ... congrats on the business, quite a nice thing to have done!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply, and also I do thank you for the help. You are right about the things you said, and also, thank you for your comment about the business, I've worked and invested very hard into it and am glad that I am seeing great turnaround. Have a good weekend!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As someone who's live by his own small business for 40 years now, it's hard, far harder than most realize ... but has its rewards. Keep at it and have a blast.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

$100K a year??? Amazing. You must be an amazing teenager. If you are paying your taxes that works out to about 1400 billable hours at $100 per hour of the 2080 hours a year you would work at a full time job 8 hours a day 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year. If you can pull that off and still go to school I salute you. That would be difficult for a graduate from MIT with a Masters in engineering to pull off in their first few years in their field. 

Try and develop a little thicker skin. You'll need one if you are going to stay in business and if you are going to learn anything. You are asking a very basic question about setting and adjusting keyframes. That subject is covered in the first couple of lessons you would learn if you took the time to study AE a bit. Learning to edit with a NLE is a lot like learning to drive a car. Put your mom in the right seat and listen to a few instructions for a few minutes and you're off with a pretty good chance of not hurting yourself. Learning After Effects is more like trying to learn to fly an F-18 off the deck of a career. There are a bunch more switches that need to be located, explained, and you are going to need somebody to hold your hand for quite a few hours before you solo. Some of the composites that I work on every week are a bit like landing an F-18 at night in a hurricane on the deck of an aircraft carrier that is under attack. It takes years of training and experience to figure hot to get home safely. Lay off flying AE for six months and you better take a refresher course and remember how to use the Search Help field at the top right corner of the app to refresh your memory.

Please, check out some of the basic tutorials in this section to quickly see how to set and use keyframes and understand how and where the switches are.

Also, when you post a question the best thing to do is to include as many workflow details as you can and a screenshot of the entire app with the modified properties of the layers giving you problems revealed. You can do that by selecting a layer and pressing the U key twice, then hit Print Screen and paste to this forum or you can grab a screenshot on a Mac using Shift + Ctrl/Cmnd + 3 and then drag it in here from the desktop. That would at least give us an idea about how you have set up your 30 logos in the timeline. This would also reveal the keyframes and properties that are modified with the preset you are using, which may have given you an idea of how to solve your problem on your own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! It was a very long road to get to where I am at in my business, luckily, the profit margins with what I do are very high, and sadly, after taxes and fees the net is substantially lower. I appreciate the advice and support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just checked Old TV weak and there are no keyframes. There is an expression that you can edit, and there are a lot of switches you can play with to change the look of the preset. I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines