Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Character Styles Panel Legend

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It's odd that I can't find this online anywhere, but I was wondering if there is a legend somewhere to the functions of the character and paragraph styles windows.  Most of the functions in the window you can hold your mouse over and see the ToolTip for, but not everything.

You'd think that you would find one here, Apply paragraph and character text styles in Adobe InDesign , but oddly it doesn't even contain a picture of the panel. In the picture, if you look above the blue arrows I drew, you see a paragraph symbol followed by Salmon (Main TOC Highlights). It is right before the "Create new style group" button.  I am trying to figure out what that part of the panel is supposed to represent. You can't right click and edit it, and a tooltip doesn't show up when you keep your mouse over it.

If you notice, I've highlighted the Latino Media section, and it appears to have that Salmon character style, yet the panel shows the highlighted character style is [None].  However, the part between the buttons shows it as the Salmon style (which is in a group named Main TOC Highlights).  I've never seen this before, and there is no legend of the panel online to tell me what indicates what.

Capture.JPG

The reason I am asking is because I am trying to figure out how I made the highlight colors in my Table of Contents match the colors they are supposed to every time I update.  For example, Latino Media has a salmon-colored thick underline character style (I used thick underlines to create the highlights you see). When I update the TOC, it would always remember that.  However, if I went to the Latino Media header that TOC entry refers to and changed just the text to Hispanic Media, the next time I update the TOC, it would have a white background (no salmon highlight). 

The way my document is structured, I have sections that I call Sub-TOCs that divide major sections in the book, which contain cross references to the pages they start on.  The pages are color-coded, and in these sub-TOCs, I have character styles that highlight the sections in the same color that they end up getting highlighted in the main TOC.  See picture below:

SUBTOC.JPG

When I would update the Main TOC, these colors would always stay, and I can't for the life of me remember how I made it do that.  I figured the key would be figuring out what that part of the character styles panel represents that I was originally asking.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017

The extra line at the bottom of the Character Panel indicates that there is a style that is applied elsewhere -- not immediate. Look in the Nested Styles and GREP Styles sections for your current paragraph style; you oguht to find the Salmon style in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The extra line at the bottom of the Character Panel indicates that there is a style that is applied elsewhere -- not immediate. Look in the Nested Styles and GREP Styles sections for your current paragraph style; you oguht to find the Salmon style in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks,

I figured it out soon after that I used GREP styles to look for the names of the headers plus the characters after up until the paragraph return and apply those styles.

For example, I applied the Salmon character style To Text: Latino Media.+\r

in GREP styles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines