• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will Premiere CC run OK for fulld media?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried premiere pro CC,and I'll edit 1080p60 DNxHD media:If I'll move to 4k,I'll create 1080p proxies,so non problem

Can I use it without lag? I read a lot of posts complaining about Premiere's high requirements,but "system requirements" page is too generic(for example "multicore processor 64-bit..."pentium or Xeon????)

i5 6500

Gtx 1060 6gb

16gb ddr4 2133mhz

120gb samsung 850evo(OS and programs)

1tb 7200rpm wd caviar blue

I can buy an additional 120gb ssd if necessary

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to hardware forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok

sorry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No not sorry. In the hardware forum you will get good advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you make proxies it should be fine, you can customize the proxies to different resolutions and codec's until one works good. since you have a fast video card, you should try the cineform codec. you could test transcoding the 4k media to 4k cineform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you can afford it put more money in the CPU that is where you are weak in the above specs.  You have only 4-corea and non- hyperthreadable.  Try for a i7-7700

The second weakest item is your hard disk drive try to afford a SSD with the size large enough for your project.  Then after finishing your project use a hard disk drive for backup and archiving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is 7700 for fullhd? if it's for 4k,I'll proxy,if it's for full hd,i won't buy premiere

120gb is enough for project

and I can afford ad ssd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you do upgrade to the cpu it should be the i7-7700k, even if not overclocking. it will help with performance, even with HD, but would mostly be for attempting 4k. the i5 should be fine with HD and HD proxies. if you are making proxies like cineform or dnxhd, they will take alot of space and might not fit on a 120gb ssd. you should try using the hdd before deciding to upgrade, you will only need the ssd if using multiple video tracks for things like picture in picture or multi-cam.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm not planning to upgrade i 6500

can i edit 1080p60 cineform/dnxhd without lagging?they're not proxies,they're converted files at original quality  from the camera

my hdd actually works fine,but i'm thinking to get an ssd later:any advice for budget 250gb SSDs?

I've done multicam editing(3cams) in 1080p30 with lumetri while AV was scanning,and it worked fine

can I use premiere as my main editor?preview full,grading  and effects mustn't lag for this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't have an i5 to tell you exactly which media and how many layers it can handle. the cineform media should use the video card and not need much cpu power, so i think the i5 could handle a couple of layers of cineform. your video card is pretty fast, so it should be able to handle the cineform media as well as several fx like grading/lumetri. the only way to make sure would be to demo/trial premiere pro and do some testing with the media you plan on using, to find out where its limits are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i've already installed trial

i was asking about performance with any cineform 1080p60 project

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you don't have any 1080p60 to test, then you can take any media you do have an convert it to that to test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested  1080p30,and it works fine

will 1080p60 be so much different?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its 2x the framerate, so it would have to decode 2x as much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'll download a 1080p sample video and I will test

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it worked well at 60fps

thanks

please don't suggest x99s anymore for fullhd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PietroSmusi  wrote

please don't suggest x99s anymore for fullhd

who are you talking to? and if someone wants best performance for fullhd, why not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMHO I think you have a somewhat imbalanced system, as far as the components you used in it. That 6GB GeForce GTX 1060 is a bit overqualified for the rest of your PC build, especially that i5-6500 CPU. Component performance balance is very important in a video editing rig. What happens there is that the GPU will sit idle, waiting for the CPU to catch up. You should have chosen an i7-6700K or an i7-7700K (either of which uses the same socket and chipsets as that i5-6500) for that system if you're going to come anywhere close to fully utilizing the GTX 1060. Otherwise, you should have chosen a GTX 1050 or a GTX 1050 Ti for that i5 system in order to achieve a balanced system.

And don't think that I pulled that statement out of thin air. I actually did the real-life testing with an i5-6500 PC of my own using a real-life project exporting high-bitrate 1080i MPEG-2 intermediate footage to 480i MPEG-2 DVD, and found that that CPU simply cannot fully utilize even an older GTX 970, let alone a GTX 1060 (which is more powerful-performing than the GTX 970), when running CUDA applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suggestions have been made.

I think that you will just have to start a project and see if it is fast enough for your needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well...if Adobe can't tell me if my configuration is objectively enough(knowing project settings and codec)who can tell me that?

"as fast as you want"... If project is 60fps,I want 60fps,if project is 30,I want 30

rendering with media encoder is sometimes slow,but CPU usage is only 50%,with other applications running!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PietroSmusi  wrote

rendering with media encoder is sometimes slow,but CPU usage is only 50%,with other applications running!

This tells me that you might have background applications, such as some anti-virus scanners, that prevent your CPU from becoming anywhere close to fully utilized. Have you tuned your PC to reduce the number of concurrently running background apps?

Ideally, you should have fewer than 100 concurrently running processes (as shown in the Windows Task Manager). If on the other hand you have hundreds of concurrently running processes, something in your system might be eating some of those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just installed a 6GB reference-clocked eVGA GTX 1060 (the non-SC version) in my i5-6500 mini-ITX small PC, replacing an eVGA GTX 960 FTW which I had always felt underperformed even in this breadbox-sized PC.

My results (using a 512GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD as my media/projects/export drive) are shown below:

00004.pngi56500_gtx1060.png

Compare that to my previous results with this same PC when it had the GTX 960:

00003.pngi56500_gtx960.png

Given that I had paid nearly the same price for that GTX 960 as I did for this GTX 1060, I wouldn't have bought that GTX 960 - but instead would have either stuck with a GTX 660 or suffer with integrated on-CPU graphics for my secondary rig until I could scrape up enough funds for this GTX 1060.

Oh, by the way, you were considering another 120GB SSD. Well, I would not recommend getting any SSD with a capacity that's smaller than 250GB these days, with the 500 to 512 GB class being the sweet spot in value. Most 120 GB-class SSDs are not only much more expensive than larger-capacity SSDs on a per-GB basis, and those smaller-capacity SSDs are usually much slower in write speed performance than their larger-capacity siblings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RjL

You might try overclocking the Memory Clock in that GTX 1060 with my default Memory Clock of 1900 MHz (measured with GPU-Z on the sensors TAB) I got 24 seconds like you did but with it set to 2400 MHz it drops to 19 seconds and appears to be running very cool.  On the front default tab it shows 2000 and 2500 MHz but for any CUDA usage it throttles back slightly from those numbers.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines