• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multi-track audio plugin: VST or Premiere SDK?

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to Bruce and the other posters in the forum, I'm new to Premiere plugins but there is a lot of helpful information here.

The Setup

I'm writing a plugin that is basically an adaptive mixer - it takes inputs from two separate audio tracks and performs frequency-domain manipulations on them. I'm trying to figure out if I can write a VST plugin (for more information see here and here) that interacts with two audio tracks in Premiere. The process would be

1. Select a region of time
  2. Apply the plugin to a target track over that region
  3. In the configuration UI select other track(s) as input to the effect
  4. The effect runs, using the audio samples from the target track and input tracks, to generate an output
  5. This output becomes the target track over that time region

Ideally the time window could be shifted, which would maintain all parameters but just shift the region that's being processed.

Questions
  1. Is this possible with Premiere's implementation of VST? Can a VST plugin take more than one track as input in Premiere?
  2. Regardless of the answer to #1, would you advise creating this plugin using (a) the VST interface, (2) the Premiere SDK, or (3) the After Effects SDK?

Thanks for any insight, between reading the VST standards, the Premiere SDK docs, and the After Effects SDK docs I'm feeling a little lost.

-Bryan

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

(on behalf of Bruce Bullis​)

Typically this would be accomplished through the Side-Chaining functionality of the VST specification. Audition supports that feature, but Premiere Pro (as of CC 2017.0.2) doesn't. Nonetheless, other third-parties have created VST plug-ins that can interact with each other through their own means.

So it should be possible with two instances of your effect. However, your effect will be responsible for the communication between the two instances.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[asking around]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bruce!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

(on behalf of Bruce Bullis​)

Typically this would be accomplished through the Side-Chaining functionality of the VST specification. Audition supports that feature, but Premiere Pro (as of CC 2017.0.2) doesn't. Nonetheless, other third-parties have created VST plug-ins that can interact with each other through their own means.

So it should be possible with two instances of your effect. However, your effect will be responsible for the communication between the two instances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines