• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image files saved from PSCC 2017 lost

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed my file structure 2 days ago as I want to return to using PS and Bridge/camera raw instead of LR.  Now images saved in PS CC aren't showing up in Bridge or Finder.  Some images are even lost.  I'm assuming they are corrupt files now.  Would it help to reinstall PSCC?  My Mac is current on updates.  I thought about a system restore, but doesn't that often invite other problems?   Thanks!  I need to get this sorted out! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017

Bridge is a file browser and shows what's there in the folder. It will show files even if they are corrupt, even if you can't open them.

Photoshop has nothing to do with this, it saves files where you tell it to save them. Reinstalling won't make any difference.

You need to figure out where you saved those files, or where you later moved them to. It's as simple as that.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge is a file browser and shows what's there in the folder. It will show files even if they are corrupt, even if you can't open them.

Photoshop has nothing to do with this, it saves files where you tell it to save them. Reinstalling won't make any difference.

You need to figure out where you saved those files, or where you later moved them to. It's as simple as that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Files saved to a particular folder and the files are not there.  I'm only guessing they might be corrupt.  As for now, they are MIA. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you "changed your file structure" as you say, that's obviously where you lost track of them. You really need to focus on that.

If you used keywords and collections to organize in Lightroom, that tends to conceal the files' physical location unless you pay attention. You may have been misled by that.

Corrupt files don't disappear. They're still there, they may just be unopenable. Photoshop can't make files disappear, the only way is to move or delete them with Bridge or the OS browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could locate them for awhile either in Finder or Bridge.  However, today what I worked on can't be found.  Anywhere.  I may have to system restore back 2 days before which time I changed the file structure.  Also, when I open PS and the recent files show up in the grid - the thumbs are there, but when I click to open, PS says the file can't be found.   Appreciate any other ideas to try. Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did finally get an error message just now attempting to open a recent file in the PS grid which houses recent images:  "Photoshop scripting error..General Photoshop error occurred. This functionality may not be available in this version of Photoshop."

Does ANYONE know what this means and why is this happening following a change in file structure?  I simply moved images in 2 folders to a folder above in the file hierarchy.  What causes scripting errors and how can I fix this issue?  Please help!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2017 Mar 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Recent files" points to the file's location at the time Photoshop saved it. That's all Photoshop knows. If the file was subsequently moved, Photoshop can't know that, so it just reports that it can't be found, or some other error message.

I don't know about Mac OS, but on Windows a system restore will specifically not touch user files and documents. Only system files and applications are affected by a system restore, and this is how it's designed.

All of which is yet another reminder of the one eternal truth you will see repeated here time and time again: Back up! Sooner or later you will lose files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spoke with Apple today and they confirmed that PS doesn't keep up with the track of files when moved.  We spent quite a bit of time creating files, saving, then moving them to confirm that fact.  The missing files are gone, not even in my back up drives.  (I do back up religiously)  They felt it of no need to reinstall PS or do anything with my OS.  I can live with the fact that I have to re-edit 2 days worth of images as it appears I will be able to continue my workflow per normal, one I've used for more than a decade, sans LR thankfully.  *It would be nice to learn why the files went MIA.*  That is still the biggest mystery in all this.  I will leave this thread 'unanswered' for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it seems to me you're looking for explanations anywhere but the most likely place. Files don't just disappear. They can be moved, or deleted, you may even have accidentally dragged a folder into another folder. The one thing they don't do is vanish on their own.

The files are probably still there, just not where you think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bkile88  wrote

Spoke with Apple today and they confirmed that PS doesn't keep up with the track of files when moved. 

Yes.  If you want Bridge to track new file locations, then use Bridge to move the files around.

BTW  Congratulations on abandoning Lightroom.    A few of the this forum's regular posters don't like or use Lightroom.  To be fair, some of them love LR and are experts like Theresa J   (I'm going to be in trouble now )

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Theresa%20J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is a brilliant piece of genius - if it would only work as advertised. It hangs, stutters and lags, and the Lr forum is flooded with these problems. I see it myself, and my theory is that it's an inherent problem with parametric editing. Every adjustment, every single one, is recalculated whenever you touch a slider.

Aside from that, I think it must be the most thought-through and logically designed piece of software I have ever encountered. It's like getting into a car and everything is right at your fingertips. Too bad it has these performance problems. I hope I'm wrong and they manage to figure it out. But Capture One has similar problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha.  I like to 'save as' and rename as I go, so I would have been better off w/o.  I'm back to my old workflow.  Yes, I wonder if I moved files with Bridge.  I usually do, but I was seeing inconsistencies between Finder and Bridge as well.  Wish I could remember.  Oh well, we carry on, don't we?  Now to recreate edits which are MIA.  OS searches of the files don't show them anywhere on my machine - or my other HDs.  The mystery remains.  Happy editing everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, Honestly I don't think you have given Lightroom enough of a chance, but we can agree to disagree on that. One of the things that I love about Adobe applications is how many options there are for just about anything. We can tailor our workflows to each of our specific needs and likes.

The truth is that I use Bridge every day, and Adobe Camera Raw most days. I'm inside of Lightroom a lot less. That has more to do with where I make my living, and less to do with how much I like an application. I am a designer and educator. When I do product photography for my clients, I used Bridge to view, rate, rename etc. I don't want those product images in my personal catalog, and usually there aren't enough images to warrant their own catalog. So I guess the point is that I appreciate and use both workflows.

D Fosse​ is right on about LR's UI. Fortunately for me I have very few performance issues on my Mac Pro, but I have read enough complaints from others to know it is a real issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Theresa+J  wrote

right on about LR's UI. Fortunately for me I have very few performance issues on my Mac Pro, but I have read enough complaints from others to know it is a real issue.

Not to go to far off-topic here, but just for completeness' sake: The really twisted thing about these Lr performance issues is that the higher the machine specs, the greater the likelihood of problems. The worst affected usually have upper-end i7s that should eat parametrics for breakfast and spit out the bones. It just makes no sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By default Lightroom places images into dated folders inside of the Pictures folder. It works this way on both Mac and PC. Have you looked in the Pictures folder for your missing images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Theresa:  First, the images missing weren't opened with LR.  (where formerly my raw files went under dated folders.)  The issue began when I altered the file structure/tree.  I then opened the images with ACR into PS, 'saved as' to a new & specific folder under the 'pictures' folder/directory.  I know one of the file numbers, for instance, and typed it into a search in Finder.  No where to be found.  All my raw files in my inbox (dated folders) are still openable, and intact.  It's files 'saved as' layered tiffs that are MIA.  Since the raw files are fine, I can re-access the files and redo the edit.  A small dilemma considering what COULD have happened!  I appreciate your jumping in here, but I don't feel I have an answer.  I should be the one marking this thread 'answered.'  Files are missing and I'm not sure why.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines