Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"The file could not be found"

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am using CC.  Whenever I take a image from Lightroom to Photoshop, via the external editor option, everything is fine until I save the image.  It doesn't come back into Lightroom, I always get 'The file could not be found' and a grey screen so I have to then locate the file and then it shows up.  Is there something I need to do in settings to make sure it automatically comes back in? I have it set up that they come back in as TIFFs.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you are in Photoshop, you must do a SAVE and not a SAVE AS...

Are you doing that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am just doing the SAVE version. It's driving me nuts!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you do the SAVE, are you changing the file name and/or changing the folder where the edited copy is stored?

Are you trying to use the Lightroom Import function at any step in this process? Exactly when is the photo greyed out? Can you show us a screen capture?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2017 Mar 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, So this is my process.

I do my edits in Lightroom.

I then go to EDIT in PS CC with lightroom adjustments

I make my alterations in PS and then I click File SAVE

Then my LR screen automatically comes up on the Library page with a blank grey area next to the original photo, see screenshot attached.

The original file name in LR is _MG_8825.CR2, then when I have to locate the one from PS by press on the ! the name of the new PS file is untitled-8825.tif

Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 13.06.27.png

What is weird is when I do the same process with DXO Viewpoint which is my secondary external editor it comes back in fine as a TIFF.  Appreciate any advice/tips you may have.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your screen capture, which is the original CR2 file, and which is the one that was from Photoshop?

How are the names changing from _MG_8825 to untitled-8825? When I send a photo from Lightroom to the secondary editor, I get a file name on this photo of the original file name with -edit appended, for example, if the original file was _MG_8825.CR2, then the file in my secondary editor would be named _MG_8825-edit and it's file type would be .tif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original file is the middle one and the grey one on the left of it is the one that has come back in from PS.  I don't know how the names are changing as I am not doing anything. Hmm that sounds like that could be the issue.  I'm going to check and see what the DXO files come back in as namewise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just checked DXO Viewpoint.  It does the same name change thing as PS, ie it comes back in with the name untitled-8825.tif  That image comes back in fine but doesn't sit next to the original one, something else I'll have to work out!  But I think I've worked out why the name changes, that was set up wrong in the preferences section on the external editing panel. Thanks for asking that, as I hadn't thought about it before, now I can amend it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh i think our last messages crossed.  Yes I had the wrong setting in the preferences for the name so that is all sorted now, sadly it hasn't mended the original problem though. I just can't work out what the problem is, odd that it is okay for DXO Viewpoint but not PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have found the answer!  well partly.  Thanks to Adobe Live Chat Support.  So it seems to be an issue with the external hard drive I have all my images on. I did a test from desktop and another external hard drive and they both worked fine. Still not sure why the DXO works okay as it pulls images from that same ext hard drive but still, it's good to know where the problem is.  Now all I have to do is work out how to solve it!  Just wanted to update you as you have been so good at trying to help me figure it out, so thank you for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it seems to be an issue with the external hard drive I have all my images on.

This is too vague (what is the "issue" with the external HD?) for it to be of any help to anyone. I am also skeptical that the disk itself is the problem, but as I said, I don't understand any of what you said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ah well sadly that bit I haven't worked out yet, but I did the same process from an image from my desktop and an image from another external hard drive and that all worked fine coming back into LR so it appears that it doesn't seem to be a LR/PS problem, it must be something to do with that hard drive which I need to look into.  I am not technical at all but I am wondering if maybe that drive goes to sleep and therefore LR can't 'see' the edited version.    I will look into this further and update here when I solve it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom preferences in the 'External Editing' tab check at the bottom to see what the renaming template shows.

Sounds like you have it currently set to "Custom name - Original File Number" but the Custom text field is blank?

The default I believe is 'Custom' with a renaming template of "{Filename>>}-edit" (use the template editor to create this)

Though this may be a preferences file problem instead? As that template should also affect files sent to your other editor DxO with the same naming problem and it sounds like it does not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines