• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is everything pixelated and blurry in CS6?

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2013 Feb 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

A few months ago I installed the trial versions of Adobe Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop on my MacBookPro.  After they expired I purchased the standard student edition and used the provided key number to unlock the full versions.  However, everything (including the sample fonts list, icons and opening menu) are pixelated and blurry.  As a design student, it is incredibly distracting to see font that isn't smooth like it should be on a retina display...

I've updated Indesign to version 8.0.1 but to no avail.  What could be wrong and how might I solve this problem?

Thank you,

Cuong

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 02, 2013 Feb 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign doesn't have specialized retina display support.

You might try messing around with your display settings. Best for Retina may not be Best for InDesign.

You're not suggesting that it got blurrier after you paid for it, are you? The trial version is exactly the same.

You should expert Retina support in the next version of InDesign, as it will support Cocoa.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2013 Feb 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if it was blurry like this before during the trial version.  Can any other MacBookPro users confirm if the Indesign menu fonts are supposed to look blurry?  For example, the curves in a "O" aren't smooth.  They are pixelated and I can see the spots.  Is that normal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2013 Feb 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The trial, as John pointed out is identical to the license version. If you're on a retina Mac you'll have to wait for CS7 to get retina support.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2013 Feb 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the new 'official statement'? I don't mean to be rude, but Adobe stated last August they'd be implementing updates in "coming months". So now Adobe is saying CS7.... Pretty lame to be frank.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's not an official statement, but you are pretty unlikely to get one.

If you understood an earlier statement to imply that InDesign would have seen Retina support prior to CS7, in particular in 3Q or 4Q 2012, then you misunderstood (or someone screwed up). Other products, which have already moved to the API that gets them Cocoa support and the Dark UI, were able to take Retina updates as midstream updates. But that's not the case with InDesign, which is based on older technology (as of CS6), and the update to which will be significant. So there may have been statements about Illustrator and Photoshop that may have been erroneously generalized to include InDesign?

Do you have a citation or link to the statement you're referring to ("coming months")?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was never an official statement from Adobe indicating that there would be any updates for the CS6 version of InDesign to implement either the support for very high resolution screens on the Macintosh (the so-called Retina displays) or the dark interface currently available in Photoshop and Illustrator. You may have inferred such updates from statements issued for Photoshop and Illustrator in terms of the very high resolution screen support, but no such support was promised.

Expect that support (very high resolution screen and dark user interface) for the next full version of InDesign.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So for us that spent their hard earned money (as starving artists) on CS6 have to pay even more for CC in order for it to work on our high res screens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. You can't go upgrading only hardware and operating systems in a vacuum.

I know that's not what you want to hear but CS6 is now almost six years old. It's never going to be updated and is not supported under new hardware and or operating systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought my computer 3 years ago and CS6 at the same time. They were both new at the time. I've been avoiding using inDesign at home and dealing with my PDFs looking like shizzz. Do they offer a free upgrade to people that were the unlucky victims during this time frame?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 was NOT new three years ago…it was already three years old.

Your only choices are to live with it, move to Creative Cloud or find an alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I have the cloud.... I just don't understand it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

stephaniee26797164  wrote

Thanks. I have the cloud.... I just don't understand it.

If you could post again and be more specific about what's giving you trouble, we can help you get past it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2013 Feb 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said: You might try messing around with your display settings. Best for Retina may not be Best for InDesign.

In particular, try: 1920 x 1200. More space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2014 Nov 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi i have the same problem, it's weird because all the others soft from CS6 solved this retina problem after one or two updates, for example in the beginning after effects and illustrator were pixelised and blured too, now it's perfect, so i have trouble understanding why they leave indesign behind. Especially knowing that this soft is used mainly by people working in the design field, and among them a lot using the last macbook pro...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2014 Nov 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign is coded differently than the other apps. There was no way to accomplish this or it would have been done as evidenced by the other apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where were you able to find the updates for the majority of the programs? I'd rather have some than none and I haven't been able to find them thus far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My photoshop has the same problem in that it is also pixelated and blurry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ask in the Photoshop forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 28, 2013 Aug 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm new to using Cs6 and I was having the same problem with pixalated text. Took me FOREVER to figure out the fix, hope it helps   go to Image, Image Size, if resolution is 72 change it to 300.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2016 Jan 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks!!! Case every one here talking about updates and arguing retina and CS7 and in reality it was a pretty simple thing go to IMAGE select SIZE and change resolution from 72 to 300..... really people all of that was necessary? but again thanks CasQ!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you just saved me, thank you so much! I spent like 3 hours until this did it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this may solve a different problem, but not the one under discussion...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2013 Dec 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you found a fix for this yet? i have just bought the same student pack and its so annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines