• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to remove yellow in face in photoshop?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2017 Mar 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working on aim image for quite a while now and have a yellow tinge across my models face and into the background that doesnt look great.

I have tried playing with hue saturation and lowering saturation in yellow, then i tried some blue but it still looks the same. Would love some help on this issue. this sample isn't the sharpest

Thanksmm.jpg

[Moved from non-technical Lounge Forum to specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

and have a yellow tinge across my models face

I'm not seeing this (from your posting image) ? Can you elaborate more ?

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Th exposure on her face through to the wall has yellow cast across both. Would have though it would be quite easy to pick up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I recognize this yellow haze. I see it all the time.

The blue channel is inherently problematic with Bayer array camera sensors, very often resulting in an annoying yellow color cast, just like this.

I've found the best way to deal with it is simply to add blue with a luminosity mask, so that it mostly affects midtones/highlights. You really need the black in her outfit (more mid-gray here) to be neutral.

Nice shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Fosse is very good at this stuff. Here's my two cents. I see an ugly greenish gray that gives the impression of a yellow cast. The background has crossover (both blue and yellow), so when you try to desaturated the yellows, the more gray color still looks yellow next to the blue. I like to go in and use color range at the pixel level to select the really offending pixels to just give a slight shift to that color, using either hue/saturation and/or curves. Image on the left is with a slight tweak, and the image on the right is the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou for your advice guys and i see the difference.

So i go into hue saturation or curves i get, though what do you mean by - use color range at the pixel level to select the really offending pixels to just give a slight shift to that color? i know how to slide up and down within different colours in hue/sat but i must have done something wrong, if thats what you mean. or is colour range different?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my 1/2-cent:

Since what she's wearing appears to be neutral toned in large areas, I eye-droppered on the gray-white stripe boundary on her right (our left) upper sleeve in the Camera Raw filter and that shifted the entire image slightly more blue and purple, removing a tiny bit of yellow and green.  I've added a few samplers to judge how neutral the areas are after the eye-droppering.   The lighter background and white stripe at her hip are close to neutral, now--samplers 1, 2, 7.  The remaining samplers on the darker floor and gray areas of clothing are less neutral, but more so than before the eye-droppered shift in color-balance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, i know all the tools though not this advanced as yet to understand

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is her natural colouring?  Is she a red head, for instance?  IME limited experience working with models, it can be difficult to get skin tones right with red headed woman, and that is especially so if they are also smokers.  A quick and easy fix is a Color Balance layer because they are so intuitive.  If it looks a bit yellow move that slider towards the blue, and if too green push that slider over to the magenta.  When you look at such an edit side by side, it totally shouts at you.   Maybe not how purists would do it, but it isquick, easy, and it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dennis

Thanks so much for the example ill check that out now. The shot on the right is her natural colour, brown and blonde not red.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

originally i used the hue stauration to bring down the colour of her skin which came up quite red

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what i had after fixing her skin, somehow thinking i could do more

Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 6.06.43 pm.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-27 at 6.06.33 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't have thought to use Hue/sat for this fix, but is does let you target colour ranges individually, which I can see you used.   Reducing saturation for the blues is going to make the yellow cast worse though.  Unfortunately, I can't think of any of our regular posters who work extensively with models — unless someone puts there hand and tells us different.  So I can't even point you to tutorials that I would trust.

Martin Evening is someone who has real expertise in this area, if you feel like working your way through 700 pages of Photoshop For Photographers.    There's a fair bit online in PDF form if you search.  I have several copies on my bookshelf ranging from Photoshop 6 to CS2, and I have his Ultimate Workshop for CS4 that he wrote with Jeff Schewe (who sometimes posts in these forums).  Jeff might pop by and offer some advice.

F-Stoppers is supposed to be reliable

Three Methods to Match Skin Tones in Photoshop | Fstoppers

I'm sorry not to be of more direct help, but I don't want to BS you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think this one's pretty straightforward.

Color Balance is fine, easy to use and intuitive. But run through a luminosity mask. Blue with a hint of cyan.

I also get a slightly washed out feeling, so a Curves layer to "anchor" the shadows and juice up the contrast a little. That's all.

yellow.png

This neutralizes the overall balance, and also (to me) a credible skin color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines