• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Do I Turn Off Color Management in LR CC Print Module?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere on the forum but I can't find anything as specific as someone, like me, who is not at all tech savvy needs.

First of all, I need to make it clear that:

(a) I'm VERY new to inkjet printing (set the printer up 25 March 2017 - i.e. 2 days ago)

(b) I am have VERY limited IT skills (generally)

(c) I am sure that the fault will lie with me and will be an easy fix (oh, please let it be an easy fix.....!)

Equipment and Software I'm using:

- Epson CS-P600 Printer

- Apple i-Mac running latest "Sierra" OS

- Adobe LR "CC" app - latest version downloaded

- I post-process scanned negs in LR CC use the LR "Print" module to print

- Spyder 4 to calibrate my screen

The Issue:

I've loaded the drivers for the printer and also downloaded ICC profiles for the exact paper stock I intend to use.  I have even produced some half-decent prints - so everything "seems" to be well with the world - but it isn't; not quite

Although I've watched YouTube demos from Adobe (and Canson - the paper manufacturer I'm using), when I go into the Printer Settings box (bottom left of the LR CC Print module), the Print dialog box doesn't give me an option to select the correct paper type and also to turn off "Color Management".

If I can't turn this off, LR CC won't allow the profile I've selected / loaded to operate correctly and I get colour casts.  Apparently, the problem is that it allows the printer to control the "Color Management" not the profile loaded.  Unloading and reloading profiles and drivers has made no difference and I specifically want to print via LR CC.

I have printed some black and white photos + one colour photo - and they've come out okay-ish, but I'm not prepared to waste any more paper or ink until I have this issue resolved 100%

So, I would be extremely grateful if anyone who knows what I need to do to get to where I want to be could provide me with the "Idiot's Guide" to what I need to do - ideally with very simple to follow instructions and screen shots.  This is driving me absolutely nuts and, genuinely, ruined my weekend.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help save my sanity......

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 01, 2017 Apr 01, 2017

The printer menu is a function of the printer, not Lightroom..  You are using a different printer than in the video.  I have 2 printers connected to my computer; seen below is the printer menu for the Epson WF-3640.  The menu is different than for the R2000 in my previous post.  The warning you get is generic as Lightroom has no idea which printer you are going to use; some printers do require you to turn off color management, others do not.  Don't over think this selection.  In your case I woul

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Printer Settings box, you must set the Media Type according to the information sheet that came with the paper you purchased.  Here I am using Red River Ultra Premium Satin 4.0, which requires a setting of Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster on an Epson Printer.

Screenshot 2017-03-27 08.45.31.png

You set the ICC profile in the Lightroom printer panel on the right of the screen.  On a Mac, this will automatically turn off Color Management by the printer.

Screenshot 2017-03-27 08.46.28.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Joe.

However, as stated above:

"the Print dialog box doesn't give me an option to select the correct paper type and also to turn off "Color Management".

In essence, I get a box similar to the first box you posted but mine is a cut down version that doesn't give me the option to select "media type (to the extent you've selected)".  Also, "Print Mode" and Color Mode" are just not there - at all.  Getting my print options to match yours is the point of my question.  Incidentally, I don't get anything in "Presets".  What does that relate to and how do I create one?  Is this part of the riddle?

Thanks also for the second box.  I have that and I have the ICC profile loaded for my Canson paper - in the same way as you have yours in the Colour Management Panel for RR UPS Epson.....  The message below that which starts "! When selecting a custom profile......" is what got me started on all of this.

Regards, Paul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be helpful if you posted a screenshot. 

If this is what you are seeing, click on Show Details.

Screenshot 2017-03-27 09.37.41.png

Presets are what you can create and save.  To do this, click on Show Details to get the full dialog box, then make all selections as you need to print your image.  Then click on the Preset up/down arrow on the right of the window to get the dialog below.  Select Save Current Settings as Preset.

Screenshot 2017-03-27 09.39.23.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again, Joe.

I'm working away from home at the moment and just got a bit of time away from work to post the query.  I'm back home on Wednesday evening, so I'll be able to fire up the iMac and LR CC and post a screen print of what I get as options.

What I get is a bit between what you posted in your last response and what you posted initially.  However, if it helps, rom memory:

1. I have no "presets" loaded (and I'm not sure if I really need to have one of these to get to where I want to be - i.e. to let the paper profile determine color management rather than the printer controlling it).

2. I have "Media Type" - but I can only select the basic drop down options rather than pick "Premium Luster" etc

3. I don't have "Print Mode" or "Color Mode"

4. Output resolution is a left to right slider not a drop-down

5. I don't recall having an option for High Speed, Mirror Image or Gloss Optimiser

6. The Lightroom printer panel (on the right side of the screen) looks very similar to yours (just with my Canson paper ICC profile loaded)

Regards, Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

paulj1977487  wrote

...The message below that which starts "! When selecting a custom profile......" is what got me started on all of this.

Regards, Paul.

You can safely ignore that message; your Mac has taken care of that for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

..............ooooh, now that's interesting....!!

Are you saying that I'm trying to achieve something that my Mac is already doing for me without prompting or me having to change settings?  If so, happy days.  If that is the case, I'll send a "target" print to the ink supplier as they provide a free "custom profile" based on actual output that will remove any residual colour casts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you click to open the rolldown and the profile isn't there - click "other" and load the profile from the list that comes up.

Yes, Mac OS will disable printer color management with the correct profile set up, but I get the impression you don't get that far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks D Fosse.

Forgive my ignorance of some of the IT terminology but I'm not al all tech-minded and I'm getting a bit confused between "Profiles" and "Presets".  When you say:

"If you click to open the rolldown and the profile isn't there - click "other" and load the profile from the list that comes up."

Are you referring to the "Presets" drop-down on the Print panel - as per Joe's screen print, above? If so, I presume that "other" is a clickable option on that drop-down menu and that clicking this will take me to the list of ICC paper profiles I've downloaded from Canson (and one or two from Fotospeed).  Presumably, I can repeat that process to load a selection of profiles?

Again, if I swap paper, I assume I'd also need to select the new paper's "Preset" in the Print panel as well as the ICC profile for the corresponding paper in the LR printer panel.

Please let me know if I've jumped to a wrong conclusion.

Regards, Paul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, maybe I misunderstood. So you do have the Lightroom print module set up with the correct profile? In that case Mac OS will disable printer color management automatically, as pointed out above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2017 Apr 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi D Fosse.

I'm genuinely not disputing what you say about MacOS disabling printer color management but, as you'll see, the Canson video shows different settings that I can't recreate.  A copy is here:

Canson Infinity : Epson printer driver Mac - YouTube

As mentioned, I still can't work out why my settings (and navigation through the settings) look so different to those shown on the video. When I select "Layout", what I get is as per the second screen print and I have no idea why what LR gives me is different - or how to change my settings so that they operate in the same way as those on the video. 

Am I working in a different version of LR to the video? When considering "Paper Type" (in the third and fourth screen prints, below) which of the options LR is allowing me to select should I use for the papers I'm using - bearing in mind the instructions on the Canson info page.  I'm intending to use Baryta Prestige which says I need to select "Premium Luster" - but I don't ever have that option - just those in the fourth screen print:

Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 11.03.51.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 10.50.38.png

and then like this when I select "Media and Quality":

Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 10.46.36.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 10.53.33.png

As mentioned earlier, I can select the correct paper profile - see below - but the warning at the bottom about turning off color management seems to contradict the assumption that LR is turning off Color Management automatically. Which takes me back to the beginning of the loop - i.e. why doesn't LR provide me with the same options as those shown in the Canson video, above??

Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 11.07.40.png

I'm really sorry to be a pest but I need to put this issue to bed, once and for all.  I've just spent a small fortune (for me at least) on a printer, paper and inks and I literally can't afford for LR (or my understanding of it) to produce prints that aren't as they should be.

Thank you and I hope this illustrates the problem better than my previous efforts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The printer menu is a function of the printer, not Lightroom..  You are using a different printer than in the video.  I have 2 printers connected to my computer; seen below is the printer menu for the Epson WF-3640.  The menu is different than for the R2000 in my previous post.  The warning you get is generic as Lightroom has no idea which printer you are going to use; some printers do require you to turn off color management, others do not.  Don't over think this selection.  In your case I would choose the Satin paper (Similar to Luster) and make a test print.

Screenshot 2017-04-01 08.48.56.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Joe.

Being new to this I'm  bit paranoid about making sure that I get it right, so your words are really helpful.  I was also unsure whether "Premium Luster" was more akin to semi-gloss or satin. I'll give satin a go and see how it looks.

Ultimately, I'm looking to put together a panel for RPS accreditation (as well as producing prints for hanging on the walls of ur home) and want to make sure that the print quality isn't the area that gets me marked down!

Regards,
Paul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Canson Video is old. Apple used to support EPSON Advanced B&W printing with ICC profiles but they no longer do.

NOTE: Did you plug in your printer and start using it or did you Download the newest drivers from the Epson site and install those AND THEN plug in the printer. Apple has a ton of minimal built in drivers that get you up and running quickly (using an open source standard) but those built in drivers are useless for Photographers and Graphics artists. Delete the printer. Unplug it. Reboot. D/L and install PROPER drivers, plug in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

paulj1977487  wrote

...if I swap paper, I assume I'd also need to select the new paper's "Preset" in the Print panel as well as the ICC profile for the corresponding paper in the LR printer panel.

Regards, Paul.

If you change paper, you may or may not have to change the settings in the Printer Settings dialog, including, but not limited to the Media Type.  If you switch paper often between several different choices, you can create your own Presets to make the task of switching easier and less prone to error.  With presets, you can change the Printer Settings dialog with a single mouse click rather than reviewing and changing all the different settings involved

So, to answer your question, yes, I recommend that you create a new preset for every paper type, even if all the settings are the same.  Less chance of error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines