Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom CC 2015.7 slower than death >:(

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE HELP ME.

I've been using Lightroom since before the CC days and have always been very happy with the program until recently. While I fully understand that the program is progressing quite quickly and could potentially render some computers obsolete for the newer versions of the program, I don't believe that this could or should be the case for why LR is running so poorly. Following the previous update I was encountering intermittent moments of extreme bog down in the program that I was hoping would be fixed by the most recent update, but have thus far only encountered a further lack of usability. LR is struggling to import batches of photos, giving me the spinning ball of death when I simply try to access menus, taking no less than 4-5 seconds to switch between photos, and the same time over again to respond to any of the editing sliders, presets, etc., giving me the spinning ball of death or crashing often times when I try to enter into the develop module, god forbid I'd want the luxury of switching between photos within the develop module instead of the library!

In short, LR is downright not useable.

I'm no computer genius, but these are things I've done as of now:

- I have turned off the Graphics Processor

- Dropped JPEG preview sizes in general

- In Catalog settings I have lowered both preview size and quality to the minimum

- Have increased my Camera Raw Cache settings to 70gb (which seems ridiculous)

- Have Optimized my Catalogs

Things I have not done:

- Turned off Sharpen, Lens Correction, Noise reduction for every photo (because I think this is absolutely ridiculous)

- Consolidated all of my catalogs

- Shrunk folder sizes

While I've heard that these last items can sometimes help, I refuse to pay monthly for a program that is going subject me to the rage of such tedium, and I refuse to believe that Adobe is that irresponsible that they would make this program so power hungry and memory intensive that it would be too hip for a 1 year old computer.

To either adobe or some interweb white knight, please help me make my photos sparkly and pretty before I set my computer on fire and throw an adult temper tantrum. I'd be eternally grateful for any help.

I'm currently working on a mid 2015 15inch Macbook Pro Retina with all of the system specs listed down below.

Lightroom version: CC 2015.7 [ 1090788 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Mac OS 10

Version: 10.11 [6]

Application architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 2.5 GHz

Built-in memory: 16,384.0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 16,384.0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 578.9 MB (3.5%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 994.8 MB

Memory cache size: 96.3 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 8

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

Displays: 1) 2880x1800

Graphics Processor Info:

AMD Radeon R9 M370X OpenGL Engine

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

Version: 4.1 ATI-1.42.15

Renderer: AMD Radeon R9 M370X OpenGL Engine

LanguageVersion: 4.10

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shouldn't be necessary for this machine. I have a similar but older machine and it is  faster with the GPU enabled than without in the last few major Lightroom versions.

- In Catalog settings I have lowered both preview size and quality to the minimum

This will have no real impact on performance. Best choice here is auto. Otherwise it will start redoing the preview every time you go to a new image. Having smaller previews will actually slow you down in this case.

Also has very limited impact in my experience. There is very limited benefit of going beyond 10GB or so if your images are on a fast disk. What can help is to purge the cache once in a while.

That can have some impact.

Make sure you are not doing something like face detection in the background. This will slow your machine to a crawl. Also check if your OS is not doing some reindexing in the background (check activity monitor in all processes mode to see if any process is taking up a lot of CPU.

Have you tried resetting your preferences? See here: How do I reset Lightroom's Preferences? - The Lightroom Queen​ This can help in some cases when there is some corruption in those that can happen if you have had many major LR versions on your machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2016 Oct 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same feeling. After upgrade to 2015.7 my Lightroom is so slow that is impossible to use it, additionaly it is less stable than previous version - it hangs randomly when I use tethering.  I'm waiting for newer version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2016 Oct 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. Here too. Lag for a simple adjustment is about 4 to 7 seconds. It happened after the last update. Completely unusable. My photoshop CC works fine. I have to work in CapOne just to get work done. Really screwed here and I don't do all those things Corey does...

because I just expect it to work, and I don't want to have to do some creative crap to make it so. I just need my software to work when it is downloaded.

iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011)  OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

LR 2015.7  Camera Raw 9.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 11, 2016 Oct 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, and reverted to Lightroom 6.6.1, which is less sluggish on my computer (a Windows 7 machine). Maybe this is an option for you as well.

The necessary steps involve removing Lightroom altogether, installing the "base version" 6.0 and then the update patch to version 6.6.1 (instead of 6.7).

There steps are described in detail here: Lightroom roll back to prior update version

FWIW, my GPU option was off before, and is still off. I could never get LR's GPU acceleration to work with the most recent version of the graphics card driver, and the only version of the driver that would work caused other rendering errors in Lightroom. Funny, but I've found that there was no actual improvement of performance anyway. It was just, shall we say, different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 27, 2016 Oct 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The GPU performance feature is only meant to help those with 4 or 5K monitors. With 'lesser' monitors, it may slow things down. This may change in the future but for now if you haven't got a 4/5K monitor turn it off. It ought to be off by default since most people don't have these monitors which only seem to cause trouble of various sorts.

The develop module doesn't use previews; it generates a new image from the original or from your acr cache files each time you look at one, so no idea what your slowness is due unless you are using a 4/5K monitor when the GPU should speed up some of the sliders but not all.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2016 Oct 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's a disaster for me at the moment. I use LR extensively for my commercial photography business and at the moment it's adding about 2-3 times the normal time to edit in the develop mode. Library module is fine but develop feels like everything is soaked in a thick goo that I can get through.

I really hope there is an update soon -  it's virtually usuable, but it's my go-to program

I expect better from Adobe. Professionals like me rely on the software and pay good money for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two things that no-one seems to have mentioned as cures for slowness or stuttering in Library.

First is not to wait for LR to create standard previews in the background (while scrolling etc). Go to select your folder or All Photos, and then go to Library/Previews and tell it to create all standard previews (or even all 1:1 previews if you want them). Then have a coffee or go to bed (depending on how many images you have selected) while the new previews render.

If that does not cure the problem and you have tried all the other tips, it is possible that your previews and their databases are corrupted. I have just had that problem I think. LR started stuttering in Library scrolling (with all previews rendered), so I 'bit the bullet' and using my file manager (not LR) I deleted the previews folder (all previews folders and subfolders, and the previews.db and rootpixels.db which are in that folder). Do NOT delete your catalog!! I also purged the acr cache in Settings, because that may have got out-of-sync with the catalog or previews.

Then I reopened the catalog (110K images) and told LR to render all standard previews. That took about 3 days, so not something to be done when you need to use LR!!. You also need to stop it and restart LR each day or it slows down in rendering previews for some unknown reason.

After it had rendered the new standard previews and their databases (and new acr cache files and index at the same time), Lr ran perfectly smoothly again, better than I had seen it for quite a while.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I'll check it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob. However, it's not really the Library module in 6.7 that is slow for me. It's most notable in Develop where really every control is rather sluggish. No such problem on 6.6.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try reverting to version 6.6.1? It's what I'm using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem when i upgraded to 6.6.1. I came across this post to see if 6.7 was any better. Apparently not. 6.4 works great for me. I haven't tried 6.5. I suggest revering back to 6.4 for now and start looking into other software alternatives like i have been. The new On1 photo Raw looks like it might be an option. Of course there is also Capture one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am considering Affinity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My experience-

LrCC2015.8  desktop Windows-10, 16Gb ram, Nvidia GT640 gpu.  With a fully installed Nvidia GeForce 'Game ready' driver bundle. (supposedly suitable for the GT640 from nvidia site download)

After going to the Lr Book module- any book edit would take up to 60 seconds, or more, to happen. Right-mouse clicks would not even open the menu. Could not delete pages, could not even open the Lr preferences dialog. Scrolling was impossibly slow.

Even closing Lightroom down and waiting, the operating system was still in a 'not responding' mode. Not even a shutdown menu from desktop would work. Task manager (took its time to open!) indicated that memory, ram and disk usage were all at a low level.

I diabled nvidia drivers in device manager, did a complete un-install of everything Nvidia related-  Magic! everything back up to full speed. Lr Book and all.

Windows-10 has shown a couple of changes, but has finally settled itself on a basic driver for the GT640 and all seems well with Lightroom now. May it continue so.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have actually already tried this... 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same issue. Tried endless amounts of forum advice. Ridiculous that Adobe doesn't offer phone support "for this product" - the only thing I've found on this forum is ton more people with same issue from MONTHS AGO and no update from Adobe. Jaw dropped. Will have to go back to a crack copy that had no issues instead of my paid software!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue as you  - it is ridiculously slow.

I have a Dell XPS 15.

16GB ram
Nvidia 960M GPU. (set to default and active)
I have a 500 GB SSD. Although the images are stored on the second 1TB HD.
It's a pretty good spec and all of the drivers are up to date and fine.
I'm running Winows 10.

Lightroom version: CC 2015.8 [ 1099473 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Windows 10

Version: 10.0

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 2.5 GHz

Built-in memory: 16256.9 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 16256.9 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 552.8 MB (3.4%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 465.4 MB

Memory cache size: 298.4 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 8

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

System DPI setting: 288 DPI (high DPI mode)

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 3840x2160

Input types: Multitouch: Yes, Integrated touch: Yes, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

GeForce GTX 960M/PCIe/SSE2

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 376.33

Renderer: GeForce GTX 960M/PCIe/SSE2

LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

I have tried ALL of the things listed in this thread. It still runs really really slow. This is most apparent when using an adjustment brush. The lag is ridiculous - you can actually watch the adjustment crawl across the screen.

I have a workaround which works a treat, but it does mean you will need to use Photoshop for the editing.
At present. Lightroom is used only for browsing images - not for editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same.. Extremely slow! Every action in develop module takes 2-5 seconds. Tried everything! Just happening since 2015.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2017 Feb 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. Lightroom CC is unusably slow. I'm a professional photographer and have been using LR for years, so I'm am incredibly disappointed in CC (currently at LR 2015.8). Switching between modules gives me a beach ball. Using the spot removal brush is so slow that I can't do any sort of retouching work. In LR5, I could get multiple exports going at once (up to four with no problems), so I could get everything going, then walk away to take a break. Lightroom CC crashes if I try to do two exports at the same time. Those are just a few of the issues I've had, but just those are enough that it makes it unusable as a pro tool for me.

I just switched back to LR5 because it's the only way I can get work done.

Adobe, please, for $50/mo, I need tools that work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an Intel i7-6900k, 64 GB of DDR4 RAM, a Samsung M.2 boot and program SSD, 4 SATA HDD's in RAID 0 for file storage and dual ASUS over clocked 1080's in my PC and Lightroom is almost unusable with how slow it is. I have a 100 GB RAW cache. This is a $6,000 PC, it flies through all my other software. Im about to drop Lightroom and use PhaseOne Capture One if Adobe cant figure out how to optimize their program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here. fast i7, 32GB RAM, 8GB GPU, ssd's, yada yada yada and lightroom on my machine has become a complete dog. (actually, even when my dog pees on the carpet it's still better behaved the LR CC)

tried a variety of graphics driver versions etc, use graphics processor on and off, and still just buggy laggy crashy.

I'm on a super tight deadline - international brand ad campaign and its now running worse then ever before - has so far added several hours to my editing.

Can't offer any possible solutions, and I better stop typing before the blood boiling rant takes over my keyboard.

this will absolutely be my last job edited in Lightroom.  Sorry Adobe, I need software that is professional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more here.

Brand new Dell XPS15 with fast i7, 4K monitor, Nvidia Geforce 1050 GPU, 32GB Ram, ssd.

Lightroom is slower on this than on my 4 years old macbook air....

I am a professional who relies on LR for work, money, deliverable, clients. Barely usable now.

What is the fix, mr. Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here. Lightroom has been running slow for months but now with the new update 2015.8 release it is completely unusable.....

Here's my system info:

• CPU: 2 X Intel Xeon E5-2630 v2 2.6GHz LGA2011 6-Core
  • MEMORY: 64 GB
  • One SSD for the OS and apps, another SSD for the cache (100GB) and a regular hard drive for the photos

I'm a professionnal photographer and Lightroom is (soon will be «was») my work tool. Editing a job has become extremely long and painful. Adobe do something about it, we pay for a service that for now can't even use?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not gonna repeat what everyone here has said already; facing the same painfully slow performance that renders LR completely unusable in any way, shape, or form!

What I can't get my head around though, is how adobe seems to completely ignore the calls of many many professionals who are not able to meet their deadlines due to the poor performance of this once golden software! They are not even taking their time to aknowledge and address their customers' concerns on these threads! This is crazy!

No wonder many of the photographers I know who once praised LR are jumping ships to competitors who seem more reliable at the moment! It seems that it would be a smart move for me to the same!

I hate it when companies take their customers for granted which adobe seems to be doing with their recent software updates 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have those of you who've contributed to this thread downloaded 6.9 or CC2015.9 and still observed the same speed issues?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines