• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is Export Showing all hidden layer in PDF?

Advocate ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all my question is just as stated in the Description.  Hows come all the hidden layers display when previewing it?  If i open the PDF it is only shows up with just the Cyan up in the top right but if i preview it shows everything.  This worries a few of my clients they think stuff that is hidden will show up.  HOw can i stop this from displaying (WITH CREATE ACROBAT LAYERS ON)? 

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 9.38.49 AM.png

Everything is hidden but it still displays in the actual PDF

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 9.44.28 AM.png

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

It's because you are viewing in Apple's Preview. For that feature to work you have to view in Acrobat 6 or later

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 10.01.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 10.02.44 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's because you are viewing in Apple's Preview. For that feature to work you have to view in Acrobat 6 or later

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 10.01.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 10.02.44 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so there's no way to view it correctly with the Apple Preview?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple Preview cannot be relied upon for professional work. It's for quick and dirty PDF of emails and simple Word/Pages documents and such. There are many, many things needed for professional printing work, forms and interactivity that Preview doesn't handle properly.

This is also true for the PDF readers in web browsers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is not the front-end user using Apple Preview, it's customers and other end users. So, saying not to use it is not really an option. t should be understood that at this level, you are already using Acrobat and not a "quick and dirty" app to handle your files. You shouldn't be, anyways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand what you're saying, "marcr96060040." There no one making people use a PDF reader inappropriately. It's just ignorance. There are a lot of people on a Mac who use Preview just because it's the installed default application to open a PDF file, and they don't know any better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THis is the case with our client. I just made it simple and before sending the file to i move the hidden layers below all the layers i'm using Or if needed delete the hidden layers.  That hides it from them and allows them to see the preview without the hidden layers showing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not what I said. I don't know how you implied that. Yes. We know low-level programs/apps shouldn't be used in a design/creative setting. However, clients use what they are comfortable with. That can not be controlled and there should exist some easier workaround that does not require the designer to have to alter the original file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then we can agree to disagree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please look at what you're exporting. It is an Adobe PDF. Beyond Acrobat/Reader there is no assurance the PDF will work properly unless it's a plain vanilla, no special anything PDF.

This is not on Adobe so I suggest you point finger toward Cupertino. They have to be aware by now that their built in PDF viewer is pretty much garbage for advanced PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

its a pretty basic PDF.  Just a few pieces of art.  but the art is in several different colors so i put different colored art on different layers on my template so that way i dont have to have 5 or 6 different templates. And maybe down the line i'll create a script that deletes the other non used layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you add layers it is not a basic PDF any longer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I gotcha.  Thank you. I'll just delete the unused layers or just drag the layer i'm using to the top of the list so that way its the only layer showing up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines