• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat 9 and "insufficient data for an image" error

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Acrobat 9 and get the error "insufficient data for an image" when trying to open pdf files often. What can I do fix this issue?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

In addition to that, the problem that is discussed here is caused by a corrupt PDF file, there is nothing that Adobe could do to fix that problem. The PDF file was either produced by a bad PDF generator, or using bad data.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an indication of a corrupt PDF file. In this case, Acrobat expects an image. Image data in a PDF file is almost always compressed so that the PDF file is smaller. When Acrobat tries to uncompress and read an image file, it "knows" how much data to expect (a certain amount of rows, with a certain amount of pixels, and every pixel with a certain amount of data). When Acrobat is now reading this image data, it is running out of data when it's expecting more. That's the reason for the error message. There is nothing you can do to fix this, besides to complain to the author or distributor of the document, and see if they can provide you with a non-corrupt version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This wouldn't have anything to do with sending files that were created in other/newer forms of Adobe correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should not have anything to do that that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already a month and Adobe is unable to address this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is not going to fix any issues with Acrobat 9. It's past its end-of-life.

If you want support for issues you need to get a current version of the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to that, the problem that is discussed here is caused by a corrupt PDF file, there is nothing that Adobe could do to fix that problem. The PDF file was either produced by a bad PDF generator, or using bad data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So, this issue has a couple of threads; this one here at
https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/adobe-acrobat-9-and-quot-insufficient-data-for-an...
and another one at
https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/insufficient-data-for-an-image/td-p/9691197/page/...
for example.

I read most all poster's notes and I am betting that there are at least 2 reasons for this . I can recreate this error with almost every version of Acrobat and acrobat pro I've checked. my first asserted reason only appears when the PDF is opened on a network shared/mapped/mounted drive. I put forth that this appears to be due to the locally cached copy of the network share's file becoming expired or corrupted and either the OS or the acrobat app is going back after n clock ticks and finding a delta between what's in local partitioned app or graphic memory and the originally opened file on the network. why that occurs could be opportunistic locks by security software or Lord knows what else. But, it can be consistently repolicated by simply letting the network file remain open in the acrobat app for >10mins.

The other reason, I put forward, and this is largely based on what I've read from those whose post(s) portray them as an authoritative telemetry collector, is that there is a rendering issue (not an area I'm exceedingly strong in) that's preventing even local files to produce the error. /used to be a guy named @Eric Chan at Adobe that could probably solve this in a few keystrokes, but besides him being on the PS RAW team he may not be there anymore.

regardless... look to the hypothesis I've shared and test to see if you can make it happen to a locally originated file on a storage partition that has exclusive use by the app; not shared storage.

I'll keep my non-thread related criticism out of this (which, I suppose, reveals I have some of the vendor).

Be Well,

->N

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines