Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom files renamed in original folder

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys!

I'm struggling on the process of renaming files when they already are in a catalog.
I'm cleaning/organising files in their original folders, but I would keep my metadata already on those files.
But, when I rename them in the original folder, Lightroom don't detect them anymore, but detect news files without any information..
I heard about the original file name in the metadata function but I'm using a batch renaming soft and I can't rename them into Lightroom, I got to rename them in the original folder.

Did anyone had this same struggle and found answers?
Thanks a lot

Laury

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

If you are renaming the files outside of Lightroom, you need to record the new and old names so that you can manually reconnect the files one at a time in Lightroom.

Obviously, the recommendation is to not do this renaming.

If the original file name is being preserved in the EXIF data, a program like ExifTool will let you get a list of the new and old file names.

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are renaming the files outside of Lightroom, you need to record the new and old names so that you can manually reconnect the files one at a time in Lightroom.

Obviously, the recommendation is to not do this renaming.

If the original file name is being preserved in the EXIF data, a program like ExifTool will let you get a list of the new and old file names.

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I understand!
Thank you ManiacJoe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you rename files outside of Lightroom after they have been imported this is what happens.  Either rename them before you import or rename then using Lightrooms renaming tools.  If Lightrooms tool isn't good enough you could use this plugin by John Beardsworth.  His plugins seem to be very good.

Complex file renaming in Lightroom made simple – thanks to the Search and Replace plug-in – Lightroo...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines