Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! Need smoother lines.

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All right friends, need help with this.

Here is a detail from an illustration I am working with in photoshop. The problem: the lines are jaggy, and when I zoom out to 100%, they are visibly pixelated. The resolution is set to 300dpi, which--based on the reading I've done so far--should be high enough to create a quality non-pixelated image. However, the lines themselves are not smooth enough. The lines are their own layer.

How do I get smoother lines here, without creating some awkward whitespace between the colors? Is there a way to anti-alias this very complex selection of lines?

The image, as you can see, is very detailed (this is just a 2-inch section of a much larger 22 x 8.5 image). The pen-tool seems too unruly for an image this complex. Illustrator's image-trace wasn't precise enough, because, I think, the linework is so complicated.

Would greatly appreciate any insight you might have.

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 10.12.11 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Blur the image to soften the jaggies, and then use Levels to harden up the now smooth line work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the source of your Doc? Is it from a scan? It looks like a scan in bitmap mode; try it in grayscale, and see if the lines are cleaner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I will try that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blur the image to soften the jaggies, and then use Levels to harden up the now smooth line work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! The blur does seem to help the jaggies, but could you be more specific with the levels? I played around with them but they just changed the lighting/color. How do the levels change the lines' hardness?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

cjg23407726  wrote

Thank you! The blur does seem to help the jaggies, but could you be more specific with the levels? I played around with them but they just changed the lighting/color. How do the levels change the lines' hardness?

Dragging in the white and black points narrows the blur area

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines