• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Import ANY audio formats (.m4a, .mp3, .wav, etc)

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having trouble importing audio into Premier Elements 15. I have looked and most of the time when people encounter audio issues it is related to iTunes. I would like it to be known that this has absolutely nothing to with iTunes. This is with voice recorded audio from both a phone, and from my computers voice recorded program (stock program).

I am trying to add voice recorded audio to a video. The video works fine. I can import the .mp4 files with no problem, it is the recorded audio that I am trying to add that is causing issues. when I try to import it I get a "The Importer reported a generic error." The files were regularly .m4a

I have tried to convert them to .mp3, .wav, etc. Every time I get that error. In all cases the files play fine on my computer, the just wont import.

I did try to convert them to .mp4. when I did this it worked; however, I would think other formats should work too.

I am using windows 10 and have the xps15 9560 (I think off the top of my head that's the model...it has the kaby lake processor)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many configurations of that laptop -- some with i3 processors, some with i7, some with 1 tb hard drives, some with 256 gb hard drives.

What processor do you have and with how much RAM? How much free space is on your hard drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2017 Mar 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i7 512gb SSD 16GB RAM

I would really be stunned if it was due to the hardware capabilities of the computer. Especially considering I was able to import a 15 min video clip in .mp4 format and that when I changed the same audio clips of myself speaking to .mp4 format they imported fine.

I had also thought that maybe it was something with the video, but I tested it by opening a completely new project with nothing in it and tried to import various samples and they all also failed.

The three ways the audio was recorded was through the iphone voice recorder, an android voice recorder, and the voice recorder that is on the computer. All failed as .m4a, .mp3, .wav, etc. but all worked as .mp4.

I checked and updated so I think I have the latest version of the program

thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2017 Mar 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on the information you've given me, I have no idea why you're having problems importing a standard WAV file into your project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve thanks for trying

the computer is new so do you think it could be that something is not downloaded that should be?

im up to try any suggestions anyone may have. I tried to provide what I have done to this point as a means to both save time and try to narrow down the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to a site like this and download a WAV file. See if it loads.

http://www.wavsource.com/sfx/sfx.htm

I've no idea how you're converting your file into all those different formats, but you may be doing so at non-standard settings. Before you throw in the towel, try a plain vanilla WAV.

You still haven't said how much room you have on your hard drive, but I assume it's either a SSD or a freshly defragmented hard drive and that you've got several hundred gigs free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve the downloaded .wav worked.

yea its SSD w a few hundred gigs free.

what software should I get to convert files? Also, just so I know, why don't .m4a or .mp3 files work? The program says its an accepted format

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a free program called Audacity.  It is well known, reliable and there are lots of tutorials. 

The problem you're having may be the source of your files.  If it is iTunes or similar, they make a big effort to block your use due to copyright rules.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try converting to WAV files using the free program Audacity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines