Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS CC2014 "Could not save because of a disk error" Lately

Contributor ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

i'm getting disk errors when working with photoshop CC lately.

Most of the time on Save and Save As i get "Could not save because of a disk error"

But also when editting layers or using filters. Sadly i don't have the exact error text line.

In both cases when i quit photoshop i get error message, that photoshop has quit because of disk error.

i'm on MacPro 2013 (6,1), 32GB ram, 512SSD (160GB free), 2x External RAID0 drives.

OSX 10.9.5

Last Photoshop CC2014 Update.

Disk Premissions Check or Disk Verification done.

I'm wondering what that could be? I'm working with this setup a year now and i started getting this errors only in the resent mont or two?

thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

laden.m wrote:

Disk Premissions Check or Disk Verification done.

Did you or did you you not run both utilities if they exist? I use windows. I would run chkdsk on my windows failing disk and check folder permissions where I have problems like you're having.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's some great advice from Gary Ballard:

DISK ERROR is a common topic here that's well covered in the archives and it almost always points to bad hardware (drives, cables, boards, drivers, ram).

<http://www.gballard.net/macrant/osx_troubleshooting.html>
<http://www.gballard.net/psd/troubleshootpurgepsd.html>
<http://www.gballard.net/macrant/ram.html>

If all else fails, anything that new and intermittent would return to factory hardware, reformat with zero write option, and install only the OS/Photoshop and all the updaters...

I know that's a pain, but at the end of the morning at least I have ruled out the install and have something solid to form an opinion on regarding bad hardware to insist on warranty replacement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive read the above guides,but I see nothing that covers my problems.

With every upgrade of CC I have the same issues. CC will not open due to deleted prefernce file or some yada yada about a 'disk error".Bridge and LR function fine. Tech support is no help.In the past Ive spent hours on the phone with them,in the end they ignore the issue. Ive done the ALT-SHFT-CTRL,no help.Ive scanned the HD,no problems,,my computer performs fine in all other aspects.When I upgraed from the 

'feather woman" to the "mirror man" same issure.Strange thing is after two months I was able to use the newer version.Maybe I'll get lucky again. However that isnt point,I;m paying for something I cant use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 16, 2015 Mar 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it just happened again.

this time i could capture the error message after the already known:

"Could not save because of a disk error"

then on closing all opened documents i get:

"A scratch disk error has occurred. Photoshop will now exit."

my primary scratch disk is the internal SSD of the MAC PRO, but the files i was trying to save are stored on the external RAID HDD.

when i check the SSD for errors i don't get any issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have more the one scratch disk setup in your Photoshop preferences. How much free space is there on your internal SSD.   I have seen Photoshop eat up over 120 GB of scratch space. When Photoshop is closed that 120GB is returned to free space.  The scratch disk error could  have been you running out of scratch space if you only have your internal ssd  setup for scratch space,  If there was a write error on your  raid I would expect the RAID to assign a different area write the data correctly in the alternate are.  If there was an undetected write error and your RAID is RAID 0 I would nor expect the RAID to be able to correct reading it that and would have to report the read error to the application.   I don't use a RAID configuration so I do not know how one test raid devices for errors.  I would expect the RAID controller would log errors and report when devices need replacing. That RAID other the RAID 0 would have better data recovery because if data redundancy built in errors should not happen.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is reporting those errors because the OS is telling Photoshop that there has been a disk error.

Your disk has serious problems, and may need to be replaced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 17, 2015 Mar 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks chris,

is it more likely that the OS SSD wich i'm using as primary Photoshop scratch is having serious problems, or it's the HDD where i'm saving the files to?

or with simple words:

is this a clear scratch disk problem?

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 17, 2015 Mar 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely the disk being saved to.

Scratch errors have a different (and more dire) message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 18, 2015 Mar 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi cris,

but what about the message on exit: "A scratch disk error has occurred. Photoshop will now exit." ?

and also when i try to save the file to a different volume i still get: "Could not save because of a disk error"

on top of it when it happens i can't save all files i have opened.

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your boot SSD is the only disk setup as a Photoshop scratch disk were you monitoring its free space.  If Photoshop filled the disk ran out of scratch space I would think that would be an error situation. When Photoshop terminates the scratch space it used would be returned as free space so the ssd would have much free space again. There would also be nothing wrong with your SSD.

I have seen Photoshop fill over 120GB of free soace on me boot ssd and start using a second disk.  This put me ill at ease for Windows does not run well without free space on the boot disk.  I have 40GB of RAM  have not seen Photoshop use more the 10GB of RAM so windows had 30GB to play with and did not crash when my SSD was temporary full by Photoshop.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi jjMack,

the SSD is my boot drive and primary PS scratch. it has 160GB free. yes sometimes photoshop uses a lot of it, but never ran out of space.

yes sometimes i had multiple large files opened and i saw that the scratch i gettig really huge but never above 50GB.

also the situations when i had the disk error messages happened when i had only small  files opened.

i also have a secondary scratch drive wich is the external RAID0 i'm saving my files so.

i also have 32GB RAM.

yesterday i made some disk tests on the SSD with smart utility. no bad sectors or other issues fownd.

is there another way to stress test an SSD?

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you get errors about the scratch disk, then you have a problem with the scratch disk.

Either that or your machine is so flaky that it thinks it has problems with all the disks.

In any case, you need to repair or replace those drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 24, 2015 Mar 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello again,

i got the error again today, but this time i could capture both Photoshop Crash report and some suspicious Console entries.

how can i attach the reports here. i would not paste them here, they are to long.

anyway i could recognise folowing suspitious messages in console right at the moment of the  "Could not use brush tool because of a disk error"

24.03.2015 16:31:49,212 Capture One[523]: CoreAnimation: warning, deleted thread with uncommitted CATransaction; set CA_DEBUG_TRANSACTIONS=1 in environment to log backtraces.

24.03.2015 16:32:00,026 Capture One[523]: CoreAnimation: warning, deleted thread with uncommitted CATransaction; set CA_DEBUG_TRANSACTIONS=1 in environment to log backtraces.

24.03.2015 16:32:21,436 Capture One[523]: CoreAnimation: warning, deleted thread with uncommitted CATransaction; set CA_DEBUG_TRANSACTIONS=1 in environment to log backtraces.

24.03.2015 16:32:47,041 com.apple.IconServicesAgent[267]: main Failed to composit image for binding VariantBinding [0x313] flags: 0x8 binding: FileInfoBinding [0x155] - extension: mp3, UTI: public.mp3, fileType: ????.

24.03.2015 16:32:47,041 quicklookd[1007]: Warning: Cache image returned by the server has size range covering all valid image sizes. Binding: VariantBinding [0x403] flags: 0x8 binding: FileInfoBinding [0x303] - extension: mp3, UTI: public.mp3, fileType: ???? request size:16 scale: 1

24.03.2015 16:32:47,049 com.apple.IconServicesAgent[267]: main Failed to composit image for binding VariantBinding [0x315] flags: 0x8 binding: FileInfoBinding [0x25d] - extension: caf, UTI: com.apple.coreaudio-format, fileType: ????.

24.03.2015 16:32:47,049 quicklookd[1007]: Warning: Cache image returned by the server has size range covering all valid image sizes. Binding: VariantBinding [0x603] flags: 0x8 binding: FileInfoBinding [0x503] - extension: caf, UTI: com.apple.coreaudio-format, fileType: ???? request size:16 scale: 1

24.03.2015 16:32:50,501 WindowServer[125]: CoreAnimation: rendering error 502

24.03.2015 16:32:50,517 WindowServer[125]: CoreAnimation: rendering error 502

24.03.2015 16:32:50,531 WindowServer[125]: CoreAnimation: rendering error 502

24.03.2015 16:32:50,548 WindowServer[125]: CoreAnimation: rendering error 502

24.03.2015 16:32:50,564 WindowServer[125]: CoreAnimation: rendering error 502

24.03.2015 16:32:50,581 WindowServer[125]: CoreAnimation: rendering error 502

24.03.2015 16:32:50,597 WindowServer[125]: CoreAnimation: rendering error 502

24.03.2015 16:34:56,178 WindowServer[125]: _CGXGetWindowOrderingGroup: Operation on a window 0x1e4 requiring rights 0x5 by caller Photoshop

24.03.2015 16:35:14,647 com.apple.kextd[12]: Can't create kext cache under / - owner not root.

24.03.2015 16:35:14,818 com.apple.kextd[12]: Can't create kext cache under / - owner not root.

24.03.2015 16:35:14,818 com.apple.kextd[12]: Can't create kext cache under / - owner not root.

24.03.2015 16:35:22,310 WindowServer[125]: _CGXGetWindowOrderingGroup: Operation on a window 0x1e4 requiring rights 0x5 by caller Photoshop

24.03.2015 16:35:48,139 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[180]: (com.adobe.Photoshop.69200[445]) Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault: 11

24.03.2015 16:35:48,315 ReportCrash[1031]: Saved crash report for Adobe Photoshop CC 2014[445] version 15.2.2 (15.2.2.310) to /Users/MPro/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Adobe Photoshop CC 2014_2015-03-24-163548_Mpro.crash

24.03.2015 16:35:58,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Resume -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0x9800 ****

24.03.2015 16:36:10,482 com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService[1064]: Bogus event received by listener connection:

<error: 0x7fff75756b50> { count = 1, contents =

"XPCErrorDescription" => <string: 0x7fff75756e60> { length = 18, contents = "Connection invalid" }

}

24.03.2015 16:36:12,957 com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService[1064]: CGSGetWindowTransformAtPlacement

24.03.2015 16:36:12,957 com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService[1064]: CGSTranslatePointForWindow

24.03.2015 16:36:12,957 com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService[1064]: CGSGetWindowBounds

24.03.2015 16:36:14,032 com.apple.security.pboxd[1068]: assertion failed: 13F1066: liblaunch.dylib + 25164 [A40A0C7B-3216-39B4-8AE0-B5D3BAF1DA8A]: 0x25

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Part of that says you have permissions errors on your disk, part is related to known MacOS bugs.

And you haven't told us anything about crashes here, just disk errors (which happen because the OS says there is a disk error).  To figure out why Photoshop crashed, we need to see the long, detailed crash report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 25, 2015 Mar 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks chris,

how can i send the crash report? should i paste it here?

Also it's strange kind of crash. It crashes only after i hit Cmd+Q and shows: "A scratch disk error has occurred. Photoshop will now exit."

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 25, 2015 Mar 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your disk (the one used for scratch) has a serious problem.

Make sure you have a backup of the data on that drive. You may be able to reformat the drive, but most likely you will need to replace the drive.

Yes, sometimes after an unknown scratch error occurs, the application can't recover (because the OS file system code is in a BAD state) and will crash (partly so we can get more information on why things got into that bad state).  That's just a further indication that something really bad is happening on your disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 26, 2015 Mar 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi chris,

thanks for the detailed reply.

i don't think that i have problems with my disk, because i just changed the primary scratch disk before the last error happened.

erlier my primary scratch was the internal SSD and now it's one of my external RAID drives (USB3).

i can hardly imagine that both (SSD & RAID) have serious problems at the same time.

i still can imagine that i have some hardware problem, but could not figure out what exactly.

can you still have a look at the last crash report? maybe that can hemp me to find the issue.

also what exactly does this error mean:

24.03.2015 16:32:50,564 WindowServer[125]: CoreAnimation: rendering error 502

console was showing this code multiple times while i was having the "Could not use brush tool because of a disk error"

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 26, 2015 Mar 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That console error means that you hit an OS bug or hardware problem of some kind - but only Apple could provide any further detail.

And a disk error means that the OS is returning a disk error, which pretty much means that you have a problem with the disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2017 Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These comments are off base. I have gotten this error off and on for 5 years on different Macs, different versions of the OS, and different versions of Photoshop. The thing that is missing is that I try to do "Save As" on several different disks and get the same disk error on all of them. Using the reasoning of the comments above, all of my disks suddenly went bad simultaneously. I think the reality is that Photoshop has a serious bug - and this is extremely annoying because you can lose an hour or two of work if its not saved properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel you gregohb2! I've been having the same problem with Photoshop since I first bought my brand new Mac Book Pro. It's really annoying since you cannot save the job in different formats...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

We having the same issue here.

4 different macs connected to same server. We using Photoshop 2015 and PhotoShop 2017 same problems.

A Windows 2016 FS, on the server we have Acronis Connect so we can connect with AFP.

It is possible to create a new file on the server but every time we try to overwright a jpg file (or other files) photoshop replay with error: can't save due to disk error.
If we look in finder PhotoShop has created an Adobe PhotoShop CC 12344...  (a serialnumber) file and we can't see a jpg file. But if I look in windows Server I can see the jpg file and its locked by PhotoShop.

Adobe Indesign or Microsoft Office programs working fine and are able to save on the server.

/Patrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2015 Nov 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Laden did you get a resolution to this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also today one of my 8GB DIMMs failed, it was just not regognised by the system.

but after i swaping them everything was OK.

during the last crash all DIMMs were recognised.

also during the crash only Capture One and Bridge were Runnning.

Please Help me with any hints what could that be? I got those errors just recently.

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2017 Dec 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem.
In my case, it turned out to be that the image format wasn't suitable for the file format I was trying to save it in. There was nothing wrong with the disk at all, it was just the plugin returning a write error with no explanation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines