Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't place image in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All Experts,

I've been using InDesign for five years, but I didn't encounter this error message yet.

I have Adobe InDesign CS6, on Windows 10.

My colleague asked me to do him a simple fold up, (half hour at most) but when I tried to place the jpg type image he sent me via e-mail, I failed.

The error message said: "Either the file does not exist, you don not have permission, or the file may be in use by another application."

Tried the following:

1. shut down every other application. (received: the same error)

2. restart the computer. (received: the same error)

3. viewed the properties for the file in windows explorer. Viewed all the tabs, like: special, security and so on, and found that the user is the owner of the file, he has all the options ticked in, came from the web checkbox is ticked in, and the latter disappeared. (received: the same error)

4. as viewed in another thread: gave read/write permissions for the folder and all subfolders and files in User\<USER name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe, but it keeps coming back. For the first time, the checkbox is in an ambiguous state (filled in square inside the checkbox, indicating, that not all, but 1 to x items in the folder are read-only) When I uncheck, it askes, if I want to make writeable just the folder, or the subfolders and files inside too, though it grays out the first option, and when I approuve, it goes away, but upon check back, I found, that the state of the checkbox still the ambiguous filled square, so it didn't changed. Tried a several more time making it writeable, but it keeps changing back, upon closing or opening the properties window. Left as is. (received: the same error)

5. Made a new PSD document in Photoshop, placed the image successfully, saved as PSD, and tried to place the PSD in the inDesign document. (received: the same error)

Do someone have another solution? For example how I can give read/write permission for the whole folder (as viewed in try No4.)?

Good work for everyone!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

https://forums.adobe.com/people/adam+fejer+-+hun+mod+mcs  wrote

5. Made a new PSD document in Photoshop, placed the image successfully, saved as PSD

This route is probably your best shot at cleansing the file itself of any properties or settings that would cause the error, but you describe what you did as "placed." Did you actually place the file? If so, instead, open the file, select all, Copy...switch to a fresh, clean, new file and Paste. Save As .PSD and Place in InDesign. If that doesn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you save this file to another "not-system" folder and try to place? Place it?

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file was in the "Images" folder under the user\<User name>\Documents\

First it was in a network folder, then on the same machine as the program.

Should I place it elsewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you try just shut down and up your PC?

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The restart was after the giving write permissions for the folder User\<USER name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe.

Next time the system built up, I checked the permissions again, and found it unchanged as of the initial state.

unchecked the readonly checkbox (again), hit ok, answered the dialogwindow (hit ok), then recheck, where I found it halfchecked again.

No matter how many times I tried to uncheck the readonly, it keeps coming back halfchecked.

Even tried to look for what is checked (fully) inside, but found so many items, that after 10 minutes gave up. Even InDesign subfolder is pretty huge.

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/adam+fejer+-+hun+mod+mcs  wrote

5. Made a new PSD document in Photoshop, placed the image successfully, saved as PSD

This route is probably your best shot at cleansing the file itself of any properties or settings that would cause the error, but you describe what you did as "placed." Did you actually place the file? If so, instead, open the file, select all, Copy...switch to a fresh, clean, new file and Paste. Save As .PSD and Place in InDesign. If that doesn't work, then it's not the file.

The next thing I'd try is making a new user account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John,

It solved my issue.

The solution was exactly as you said:

in Photoshop copy the image, paste in a new, and save. Than place this new PSD in my InDesign document.

With this my issue solved, thanks for your contribution.

Though the original image is not healed, impossible to place it in InDesign. If I hadn't Photoshop, how could I solved this issue? Do anyone of you knows?

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Though the original image is not healed, impossible to place it in InDesign. If I hadn't Photoshop, how could I solved this issue?

It might be possible to hunt it down if you made a copy of the file available here for first-hand inspection. Otherwise, it will just be hit/miss guesswork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, Mr. Mensinger, here is the image. It was for an Easter greeting card, and yes, I know it's hopelessly small. It's just something my colleague sent me, to use. I just hope, its properties left unchanged upon upload. Can you tell me anything about it?

Húsvéti Üdvözlet.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your copy of InDesign is running in English, it won't digest the characters in that file name. Rename the file using only characters from the English alphabet and/or regular numbers.

Wouldn't Place here either, until I renamed it "23.jpg"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That solved it really well!

Dear John Mensinger: you are an ace!

I didn't encounter any problems until now, and didn't realize, that InDesign couldn't digest non-English letters in about-to-place filenames.

Thanks a lot again. So I should always check even the spelling of the file I'm about to place... Good to know!

Though I didn't need to rename it to upload in the forum...

Thanks again. Hope it helps for others who are in the same boat as me.

Best wishes, and good work!

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm glad it's solved, Adam. Stay well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines