• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Troubel when recieving files create on a MAC useing Helvetica Light TrueType font.

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

we often receive InDesign files produced by others parties where they use Helvetica Light TrueType font ( please se Metadata that I exported from one of the files )

We only use PC.s and we have some Helvetica Fonts installed but not the exact one mentioned above. so when the file is open we are faceing some issues when choosing a different Helvetica font.

My question is.. Is there a Helvetica Light TrueType font the we can by to use on our PC.s?

if not is there another way we can make this work? as Make sure that an external party uses the Helvetica light .OTF is a bit of a hassle.

As you can see my understanding of how fonts works i general is a bit shaky. So please feel free to elaborate.

all the best

\nidall

Meta data from recieved InDesign file containing the Helvetica Light TrueType

<FontFamily Self="di1c8" Name="Helvetica">

<Font Self="di1c8FontnHelvetica Light" FontFamily="Helvetica" Name="Helvetica Light" PostScriptName="Helvetica-Light" Status="Substituted" FontStyleName="Light" FontType="TrueType" WritingScript="0" FullName="Helvetica Light" FullNameNative="Helvetica Light" FontStyleNameNative="Light" PlatformName="$ID/" Version="10.0d1e1" TypekitID="$ID/" />

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that those are dfonts, not truetype.

Sorry but beyond speaking to those sending the files and insisting on Opentype, there’s little you can do here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thx Bob,

So just to be clear on a couple of things.

dfont is a MAC only FontType??

my question here would be if the meta data I extracted from the received file, is wrong, as it states FontType="TrueType".?!

If it was a TrueType can Adobe Applications on a PC handle / install / use a new TrueType Font?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Truetype fonts can be Mac, Windows or a flavor of crossplatform Opentype.

I have no idea if it’s right or wrong but again, I suspect it’s a dfont.

Was the font packaged with the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes it was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without seeing the files I’m still going with dfont.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it help if I uploaded the InDesig file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It will be the Helvetica.dfont that's part of OSX. It is a form of TrueType, but they won't install on Windows. Really, if you're going to be collaborating cross-platform, you'll both have to use cross-platform fonts. I think the Helvetica.dfont that ships with OSX is the Adobe/Linotype version, so Adobe's 'Helvetica LT Std' will be your best option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines