• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linked text files with bullets

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you know about linking and bringing in bulleted lists and tables? I'm having trouble on both when I have an existing bulleted list in Word and then place the linked file into indesign. I have the newest versions of both. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

A second question since you seem to be quite good with this.  I have some files that my team put together in Word. These files were not pre-formated with specific styles. Is there a best method to go through and simplify styles so they are consistent and then link to InDesign? (I hope that makes sense?)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Natalie:

Bullets are an issue with linked files. If you have a bullet list defined as a Word style:

Microsoft Wordss_002.png

And you link it in InDesign with the corresponding Bullets style, it does this:

InDesign CCss_009.png

You have to select the bullet list and apply the style and clear overrides to fix it.

InDesign CCss_010.png

That's a lot of work if you have a lot of lists. I would prefer this workflow—create the Bullets Style in Word, but don't add bullets.

Microsoft Wordss_003.png

Then when you update, InDesign gets to add the bullets through its own style and you don't have the issue shown above.

InDesign CCss_011.png

As for your second question:

Is there a best method to go through and simplify styles so they are consistent and then link to InDesign?

I don't have a better answer than to comb through both files, making sure that the style lists match exactly. Same spelling, same case, same spacing. I tend to be methodical in this practice. I would start of page one and match the Title tag in both applications, then the Byline tags, then the Body tags, then the Heading1 tags, the Heading2 tags, etc. When I get to the end of the document, I'm done.

Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

COuldnt we setup a glep code for that? If we now which character it bringing in, we could filter that and replace it right?    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bullets are done in InDesign with predefined paragraph style, no need for GREP here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well i thought cause i see unsoprted characters (squares) we could make a GREP which replaces these for correct ones

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines