• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR 2015.9 update killed Canon tethering

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated my MacBook Pro to LR2015.9.  Completely killed tethering on my Canon DSMKIII and 7D.  Both cameras same issue, tried 4 cables. LR does not see the Canon bodies.

My Leica SL tethers just fine after the update.

Running LR 2015.8 on my 12" MacBook.  Both Canon bodies & my Leica SL tether fine.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Hi Chrisd,

Please go through Fix tethered shooting in Lightroom and let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Canon 5d2 and 5d3 both tether fine with 2015.9 and OS X 10.11.6.   Which OS are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bob:

I'm running Sierra, 10.12.3 on both my 2013 MacBook Pro, and my 2016 12" MacBook.  And again, the MacBook is using the previous version of LR.   I did just receive the reply from Akash, but am out of the office now.  Will try his solution(s) and report back with updates, hopefully positive!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chrisd,

Please go through Fix tethered shooting in Lightroom and let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Akash:  Your solution of restarting my MacBook Pro cured the issue. Although after the restart,  I took 3 test shots in succession (about 2 sec between shots), I got the endless "transferring file" notification and I had to turn off camera and quit LR to continue.  I relaunched LR, ran another test and all seems OK for now.  

My 7D also tethered after the restart, and the 7D files transferred about 3 times as quickly; possibly due to the raw file size difference.

I "did not" delete the preference file, but if this hangup continues, I'll go to that as my next step.

Thank you for the information!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another update; going backwards on the solution ;(

Restarting my MacBook Pro cured the issue, until of course I had a portrait session yesterday. I tethered LR to my Leica SL, and almost immediately, the available ram on my laptop went from about 9 GB available, to about 512MB(!) available. I received a system warning to close all other apps, except NOTHING other than LR was running. 

I rebooted, relaunched, tethered the SL again, and had the identical issue.    Rebooted, relaunched, tethered my DSMKIII and had the same issue AGAIN.   Rebooted, launched Capture One, and the DSMKIII worked great.  The SL is not supported on C1. I prefer LR because I find the interface faster for image adjustments on large jobs, but it just would NOT tether. 

Completed the assignment, returned home, deleted the LR pref. file as you suggested and the same issue continued with both cameras. At least 2 days ago, the SL tethered.  NOW, my Canon and Leica bodies do not tether.

Retested both cameras on my 12" MacBook running the "previous version" of LR, and both cameras tethered smoothly. 

This is beyond disappointing.  IF the previous version of LR is running smoothly, and the latest update doesn't work across two different camera systems on a more capable laptop, something is up with the LR update, not with my system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might me another Lightroom/Sierra problem as a tether with Lightroom and a Canon 5D3 from a fresh start of Lightroom stays steady at 900 to 1200 MB of memory use.  It go up while shooting but goes back down after import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob:  I appreciate your replies!   I didn't clarify correctly, the following...  After the memory grab when testing at home, and my rebooting, LR would not even recognize either camera, and I got the flashing "busy" on my DSIII when I'd depressed the shutter. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't edit my previous post so I wanted to wanted to add I am using OS X 10.11.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.   Yeah, I wish I could go back to the previous version of LR.  It can't be my OS, because my control for the troubleshooting is the lowly and underpowered 12" MacBook running Sierra, but also running the previous version of LR. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akash:

The solution actually took a step backwards. Initially the thread was marked as answered but I’m hoping it will still stay open, as the current version of LR is unusable if I want to tether.

Chris Duzynski Photography, LLC

"Compelling Imagery / Compelling Advantage"

414-282-3792

www.chrisduzynski.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys,

I have a similar problem!

Since updating to Max OS X Sierra (currently running 10.12.3) on the 2016 Macbook Pro with Touchbar, I can't tether my Canon Eos 6D (now running the newest firmware 1.1.7).

I thought it was a compatibility issue with Lightroom 5 and upgraded to Lightroom 6 (6.7) ... Still not working!

I tried everything in this article:Fix tethered shooting in Lightroom

Am I missing something?

Shooting through wireless works with EOS Utility 3...

But my Mac just doesn't recognize the Camera, neither in Lightroom, nor in EOS Utility.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:  sorry to hear you're having the issue. Don't have a direct solution for you but to continue, I shoot both Canon DSMKIII and Leica SL.  I posted my issues to a Leica-centric user page and it was suggested that I upgrade to Leica's version of the EOS utility.  This upgrade fixed both my Canon and Leica tethering issues.  Now both tether very well to LR without my need to run EOS Utility or Leica ImageShuttle in the background.   Capture One still won't tether to my Leica but that's unfortunately a political issue between the two companies.  I'm running all the latest versions of software.

Don't know if this fix was coincidental to getting the Canon to tether, but maybe it'll help move you towards a solution.  I'm feeling mine was almost pure luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again David:  I need to correct my previous reply.  I did not update Leica Image Shuttle, I updated the Leica LR tether plugin to the latest version.

This is the specific response I received from a Leica respondent to my issue...  "it's quite possible that just the act of installing an updated plugin (Leica Tether update) has reset some funky initialization in LR that was blocking proper operation before".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2017 Apr 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well as luck would have it, or lack of luck(!), my positive solution took a big dump, right in the middle of a shoot with client breathing down my neck.  My LR tether to my DSMKIII just stopped.  Tether did not even see the camera "no camera connected".  Beyond fricking frustrating.   Clients expect things to work unabated.  It's also unfortunate that I warned her ahead of time that tethering, while beneficial is very quirky.  Once I switched to capture one in mid-job everything worked as it should.  I just prefer the LR workflow for client viewing/selecting of files while shooting but if it is unreliable it's not worth the stress & embarrassment.  Not sure on how to fix the tether issue this time around. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines