• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Word or Character Wrap in Text Frame without Space Characters or Hyphenation

Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Caveat: Googling the discussion title yields many results, but does not interpret what I'm asking, the way I intend. I've tried to clarify the problem in question by attaching two screen shots to this post, please refer to these if needed. 

Question: Is there a way to make words or characters (glyphs) wrap to a text frame's edge when hyphenation is turned off?

Screen Shot 1: shows filling a text frame without any space characters, with hyphenation turned on. Here InDesign makes the decision of where to hyphenate a line.

Screen Shot 2: the same text frame as SS1 with hyphenation turned off. Here InDesign will consider any lines that do not fit as overset text, showing the overset text icon in the bottom right of the text frame.

screen_shot_1.png screen_shot_2.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Hi Josh,
I see a way of doing this:

1. Set the language formatting of the text to "No Language"

2. Turn hyphenation off

Hope, that helps.
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With no spaces between words, and no hyphens, what would expect to happen?

InDesign has no way to break the text at the end of each line, so the text just overflows the frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff what I was hoping to do is make the characters fill the frame (like justification) and break the line at the point which it could no longer fit.

I understand there may not be a way to do this as it's a unique situation (testing kerning for type design project) and normally this wouldn't be useful for most people.

However, another situation I encountered with my students this week in our typesetting class was when this happened using words in a narrow column, and of course the text disappears and they are greatly confused as to what happened. I raised the question to this scenario as it seems InDesign could be improved in how it delivers use feedback in the error process, which would be especially helpful for people new to learning the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Josh,
I see a way of doing this:

1. Set the language formatting of the text to "No Language"

2. Turn hyphenation off

Hope, that helps.
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great answer Uwe!

Actually, your answer works even if you don't turn hyphens off. I guess because without a Language, there are no hyphens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant!

Thanks Laubender for interpreting my question as a real problem, and that I had an intention.

It's a weird situation but this will be incredibly helpful for proofing my kerning pairs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Josh,

if that would not help I have another suggestion:

Indiscripts :: ‘Ultrafluid’ Line Wrap in InDesign

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines