• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with font just in Windows Acrobat

Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I am using Acrobat XI Pro on Windows 10 and I received a PDF from a coworker that every time I try to edit I get the error:

"Cannot find or create the font 'UniversLTStd-LightUltraCn'. Some characters may not display or print correctly."

I, of course, have the font installed. As a test, I created a fresh PDF in InDesign CS6 with that font on the same computer and when I went into Acrobat to edit it, I got the same error (but works fine with any default fonts). If I open the PDF (the original or the test one) on my Mac, Acrobat accepts it without issue.

I have tried the following:

1. Uninstalling and reinstalling the font.

2. Installing the font from a different location as if the file were corrupt.

3. Rebuilt Windows font cache

4. Removing Adobe TypeSupport folder to let it rebuild

5. Reimaged my computer to verify Acrobat install was fresh

6. Uninstalled the font, removed Windows font cache file, removed TypeSupport folder, rebooted, installed the font from an alternative location and still had the same issue.

Please advise.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

The issue is unfortunately very simple.

In order to edit text in a PDF file, two conditions must exist even if the font is already embedded within the PDF file itself:

(1)     The font must be installed on the system on which the editing is to be done.

(2)     The font must have the editable embedding privileges.

Unfortunately, the Univers LT font family only has preview and print font embedding privileges which is insufficient to allow Acrobat to allow editing of content formatted with that font. (

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mgrafsteumich,

Thanks for the detailed description.

You may please share the document that you have created using Indesign CS6 along with the font created 'UniversLTStd-LightUltraCn'.

You can use Adobe send or upload it on share drive to share the file with us via private message.

We would like to check the same at our end and will update you for the same.

Regards,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Akanchha -- I sent you a private message with the information requested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is unfortunately very simple.

In order to edit text in a PDF file, two conditions must exist even if the font is already embedded within the PDF file itself:

(1)     The font must be installed on the system on which the editing is to be done.

(2)     The font must have the editable embedding privileges.

Unfortunately, the Univers LT font family only has preview and print font embedding privileges which is insufficient to allow Acrobat to allow editing of content formatted with that font. (Similar restrictions apply to using a font in a forms field!)

Note that the embedding privileges are not controlled by Adobe, but rather, by the original font creators. In this case, you really need to go back to InDesign, make the text edits there, and then recreate the PDF file.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dov,

Thanks for your response. Why would my Mac allow my to edit the same PDF but just my Win10 device gives me that error then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believe that there is a version of that font bundled with MacOS that does not restrict editing, i.e., it has editable embedding enabled. I am not near my Mac right now and as such cannot confirm that. But I can confirm the issue with the standard version of Univers LT family previously available from Adobe and currently available from other sources.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines