• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Parent/Child relationship for shape layer transform properties?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a technical question - is it possible to make a shape follow the transform properties of another shape? Basically like the parent/child relationship, but instead of following the main transform properties of a shape, they'd follow that shape layers' 'Transform: Shape' properties. Does that make sense? I'm trying to make a box follow the scale and movement of another box but the animation keyframes are on the shape itself.

To go further, the reason why I've animated the shape's properties instead of its general transform properties is because I need it to retain it's stroke width constantly throughout the animation. If someone has a solve for that, maybe I could work around it entirely.

Any help appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

A simple expression created by the picwhip to link the properties is all that is needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A simple expression created by the picwhip to link the properties is all that is needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rick

I had trouble understanding your answer, but I got a response elsewhere that explained it. For anyone wondering you just Alt+Click or Opt+Click the keyframe button of the parameter you want to parent. The pick whip button will appear below (next to a few other buttons like an equals sign/graph/arrow) and you can drag it to the property you want it to follow on the parent object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow up question,

I dragged a pick whip from one shape layer property to another (scale). I now have one box following the scale properties of another box (great!) but they scale in different directions... I tried aligning their anchor points which mostly works, but  this is odd to me because the when I make a parent/child relationship with overall layers, they follow the position and scale of the parent's anchor point, regardless of where the child's anchor point is.

I tried to make a pick whip expression of the child object following the parent's anchor point to see if this would work as a quick fix, but now it flies off the screen.

Any advice appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pick whipping properties in expressions only makes the value change for that one property. It is very unlike parenting despite them both using the pick whip to choose them! You could make the rotation of one thing control the scale of another (or get even more complicated than that).

If you try to tie properties to other properties when there are parent/child relationships involved, things can get really nuts. Without seeing more of your project, it would be hard to give exact advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I need it to retain it's stroke width constantly throughout the animation. If someone has a solve for that, maybe I could work around it entirely.

depends on your setup, but adding layer style - stroke will render after transformations and will give you constant stroke as the shapes grow. another workflow might be using the repeater operator but that also depends on your setup. try showing us more of it so we can better asisst you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines