• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Action Wizard Will Not Convert TIF Files to PDF that are larger than 130kb Is there a limit on file size?

Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the action wizard on Adobe Acrobat Pro X and it will convert all TIF files that are 120kb and lower and will fail to open files that are larger than this. Am I missing something? It seems like it should be able to convert all files to PDF's regardless of the file size. Anyone have a work around to this problem?

Every File that is over said amount will generate two errors first is "Unknown error Document XXXXX" the second is Cannot open document Document XXXXX"

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created larger files without problems. What operating system are you using Acrobat X on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit  - 12 gb RAM

To me the file size seems small but that is the only difference I can tell from looking at the individual files. All attributes are the same across the board.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think the file-size is the issue. What happens when you drag and drop one of these files in Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I drop the file into acrobat it tells me it can not open because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's your answer... Something is wrong with that file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What can you see in the first line when you open the file in a text editor, like notepad?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The program says that something is wrong with the file but I am able to open and view the tif just fine. If i print the tif to the Adobe PDF printer from the windows photo viewer it will convert the tiff to pdf. I guess my next question is how come the file can be converted this way but not the other?

Everything Below here is the first line when opened in notepad:

ÿØÿà  JFIF     È È  ÿá  PIC      ÿÀ     Œ          ÿÛ „

'    /)10.)-,4:J?47F8,-AXAFMOSTS2>[b[QaJRSP       /  /cB8BccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccÿÄ                                                       !1  AQ "aq‘  2R’#BSTc“¡±Ñ34Dbr‚Á $5CEUstƒáð%&²ñ6¢ dÂe£                                             1 ! 2A  ÿÚ          ? ù`                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a TIFF file, it is a JFIF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is odd because they were all scanned in the same way into the program and have the file extension .tif. This is a giant problem because I have 1 million tif files to be converted but around 50,000 of them will not convert due to this problem. I am working on a historical archive project and need to figure out a way to automate this process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not a TIFF file. TIFF files begins with the characters MM or II.

Looks like that the photo viewer can open JFIF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How I figured it out:
I manually changed the file extension of the .tif files that was not converting properly to .jpg since it was registering as a .jfif file.Then I tried to convert the newly renamed file with adobe and it worked flawlessly. Which brought me to the following conclusion.

Here is what I had to do to correct the problem.

*) The two images are screenshots of the two batch files I used to accomplish what is listed below. If you do use these scripts remember it was made to be executed a specified directory of your choosing and it will work through all of that directory and its sub folders. Please use at your own risk.

1)Wrote a batch program to loop through every sub folder searching for .tif files. Every file it came across I left the current file in tact and copied and renamed the file to the same name .jpg . So now I have two versions of the same file one .tif and one .jpg.

Convert.JPG

2)Ran the Adobe Action Wizard against the same directory and its sub folders to convert the .tif and .jpg to .pdf. Yes it will error one way or the other but it will convert at least one of the files to pdf.

3)Wrote another batch program to o loop through every sub folder searching for .tif and .jpg files and delete them so that I would only be left only with the .pdf files. (Had to run it twice so I could remove both file types)

Delete.JPG

I appreciate everyone that lead me down the right path. Thank you for your help. Understanding what my problem was helped me significantly in solving this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines