Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sizing photos for indesign

Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have what you all may think is a really simple and silly question but I cannot find my answer in any of the tutorials.  I am designing a tutorial book in Indesign.  The photos I took are all of a large size.4272x2848 with a resolution of 72.  This is the way they come off my canon rebel.   I take them into photoshop and normally just do a auto contrast and then save them to a folder.  My question is, should I resize the photos to a smaller size prior to taking them into Indesign or just resize them in Indesign.  If I should resize them prior, what is a good size for a photo to show up in a book created with Indesign using say a letter sized page?  I really appreciate any help.  I am obviously self taught and just learning Indesign, which I am loving.  I watch Terry White's tutorials and he is great but I cannot find this solution so thank you very much.

Kathleen Nash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

I guess this is going to be trial and error.  Thanks.

When you scale a placed image in InDesign you are resizing–not resampling the image pixels. Scaling in ID is the same as unchecking Resample in Photoshop's Image Size dialog. Because your camera is setting the resolution to 72ppi, the image's output (print) dimensions are 59.333" x 39.556". By default InDesign uses the output dimensions at 100% when you place.

In PS you can uncheck Resample in Image Size and set the output dimension to a more

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you roughly resize them in Photoshop to the size you want them to print on the page with a resolution of around 300ppi.

Keep the images in RGB color mode and Place them as PSD files in InDesign so you can round trip to Photoshop to do more work on them if necessary. After placing check the Effective Resolution in InDesign to ensure you have a resolution between 250 and 300ppi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Derek, that's my problem, I don't know what size I want them to print on the page.  lol I know that sounds crazy to you all who are pro's.  I think I will save them all at their original size and change the resolution to 300 and then downsize them to maybe around 1200?  I guess this is going to be trial and error.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess this is going to be trial and error.  Thanks.

When you scale a placed image in InDesign you are resizing–not resampling the image pixels. Scaling in ID is the same as unchecking Resample in Photoshop's Image Size dialog. Because your camera is setting the resolution to 72ppi, the image's output (print) dimensions are 59.333" x 39.556". By default InDesign uses the output dimensions at 100% when you place.

In PS you can uncheck Resample in Image Size and set the output dimension to a more manageable size without losing resolution. If you do that you will have more flexibility when you scale in InDesign—there will be more effective resolution available in the page layout.

Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 8.19.36 AM.png

With Resample off, changing the width maintains the image pixel dimensions and the resolution increases accordingly.

Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 8.19.56 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much for that explanation Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines