Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cover placed in back of book instead of front

Enthusiast ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When I export a book to epub from InDesign, using the Choose Image/File location-option, the chosen cover image is placed on the last page instead of the first.

If I instead manually place the image file as the top file in the InDesign book and then export, using the None-option under cover, the image is too small, and there's a blank page in front of it.

What am I doing wrong?

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -- the latest. And I'm exporting to Epub 3..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...I just realized that the free app Calibre allows you to add a cover, fast and easy. So I'm using that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, the Calibre solution mentioned above may not be a solution at all: When I checked the .epub at Validator, I got the following error message:

ERROR OEBPS/titlepage.xhtml - - The property 'svg' should be declared

in the OPF file.

So it would still be great if InDesign can export the correctly, with the cover in front instead of on the last 'page.'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are using a book file right: indb. I'm not able to replicate your problem. Hard to tell without looking at the actual file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yes, I'm using a book file, and everything else looks fine. It's not my file though, so I can't post it.

But you can actually place the cover in front of the book?

I don't understand how that's possible; I think I've tried all settings. According to the publisher I'm going to use, it's a common issue so I don't think it's a specific InDesign-problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm able to place the cover in front of the book doing just what you describe:

-Cover>Choose Image

-File Location

This is a sample with a random picture.

Book cover.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you -- this is so weird.

I've also tried various image sizes and types (.jpg, .png), but to no avail...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Apr 01, 2017 Apr 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you able to crack open the .epub file. I'm curious how the OEBPS file looks. You can use an app like eCanCrusher by Rorohiko. https://www.rorohiko.com/wordpress/2013/10/08/ecancrusher-dragdrop-conversion-of-folder-to-epub-and-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines