• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

lrcat.lock can't be found, catalog can't be opened

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The catalog's message when trying to open is: 'The Lightroom catalog cannot be opened because another application already has it opened. Quit the other copy of Lightroom before trying to launch'. I read deleting of the lock file might help. Can't find the lock file. Searched anywhere. Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Yes, I tried that as a matter of course, but sadly it did not work.

What has worked though was copy-pasting the catalog together with the Smart Previews in to a different location. They now open fine from that new folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lock file is in the same folder as the catalog. The catalog is ususally in a folder called Lightroom Catalog inside the Pictures or My pictures folder, unless you decided to save the catalog elsewhere.

You can also use the operating system to search for .lock files. Make sure that the OS is set up to show file extensions.

lockfile.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I know where to look for .lock files, and have searched both manually and using the OS search option. However, there are no .lock files showing up on my computer. Only the single .lrcat file is showing. I've got hidden files showing.

Is there another issue apart from the .lrcat.lock issue that can cause this error message? If not, why are there no .lrcat.lock files showing on anywhere on my hard drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never encountered a case where there is no lock file present with that error message.

Have you tried restarting your computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried that as a matter of course, but sadly it did not work.

What has worked though was copy-pasting the catalog together with the Smart Previews in to a different location. They now open fine from that new folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know this is perhaps maybe a dumb question. But do you have your system browser configured to show file extensions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines