Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table of Contents crashing on update indesign CC2017

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I've followed a couple of other threads about this but so far nothing seems to fit or help my situation.

Running 2017 CC on an iMac 2015.

A large book, 19 chapters, I'm trying to compile a list of illustrations at the end.

It worked a couple of times, but now it crashes every time. I've tried restarting and creating a new file for that section, rebuilding the book, restarting the mac.

Oddly now when it crashes I don't get either an Apple or an Adobe crash dialogue.

The paragraph style I'm calling on is figure name, which applies to every figure in the book.

Doing some experimenting, it doesn't crash if I pick another style name.

It doesn't crash when I update the contents page for the book or for each chapter.

It seems to be an issue with this specific paragraph style.

I'm so close to finishing this book (it's taken me a year) and this is now becoming a pain.

Any thoughts, greatfully received.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sad to hear that your InDesign is crashing and hampering your work. Did you also try cleaning your preferences?

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

If still it does not solve your problem and your InDesign crashes, can you please mail me your document at amaarora@adobe.com so that i too can reproduce your crash locally and suggest a possible workaround if any.

Regards,

Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion.

I should have thought of trying that.

However, it didn't work. (good tip on moving the files so you can move them back, i value my settings!)

This is Apple's crash report:

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000

Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11

Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb

Terminating Process:   exc handler [0]

VM Regions Near 0:

-->

__TEXT                 000000010acef000-000000010acf9000 [   40K] r-x/rwx SM=COW  /Applications/Adobe InDesign CC 2017/Adobe InDesign CC 2017.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe InDesign CC 2017

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

It only seems to happen with the paragraph style 'figure name', so I think I'll go through and rename the para style in all 19 chapters and see if that works.

If not, I'll send you over the files, but there are a lot of them.

Thanks again

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay.... so this is what I did.

I created a new style called figure name new and went through each chapter and deleted figure name and replaced it with figure name new.

As I did this in each chapter I went to the List of Illustrations chapter and updated the table of contents, now based on this new figure name new.

It worked, until I got to chapter 10, then it crashed. I tried to comb through Chapter 10 checking every instance of that style but couldn't find anything strange.

I tried again.

It crashed.

So I renamed the figure style new back to figure style so it wouldn't be included in the TOC.

No crash.

And then I went through the remaining 11-19 chapters renaming and now I have a List of Illustrations TOC which works fine but excludes Chapter 10.

I can just about live with that. I can add Chapter 10's figures manually with cross references and anchors, but I've no idea what is wrong with that Chapter.

I would like to get to the bottom of this, but at least I have a work around for now.

I could send you that one specific file if you like.

Thanks again

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 01, 2017 Apr 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

That was an impressive scan that you did with your Indesign chapters.

Sure, do send me chapter 10 document and one or two more documents along.

Do package the documents for sending.

-Aman

amaarora@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines