Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Collections don't have any photos in them after moving photos and catalog

Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I moved my entire catalog to an external drive, and now when I open it in Lightroom, all of my collections exist, but they have 0 photos in them.

Is there a way to recover this information to the catalog? I have a backup of the old catalog with the collections in them, but I want them to be in the one on the external drive.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Explain the steps you followed to do this move, in detail, leaving nothing out.

If you have a recent backup of your catalog file, then you should be able to recover from this.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Explain the steps you followed to do this move, in detail, leaving nothing out.

If you have a recent backup of your catalog file, then you should be able to recover from this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The steps we took were….

On a Mac in Finder we copied the folder containing all the photos, as well as the folder with the actual catalog, presets and backups in it to a external drive.  Then I opened the catalog from there.

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try opening a recent backup of your catalog file. Are the photos in the collections in this backup?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't explain why you are seeing no photos in collections in the case you are describing, and recent backups do show photos in collections, but I would try repeating the procedure of moving to a new hard drive with a COPY of the backup file that does show photos in collections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2017 Apr 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Success…we repeated the procedure and it worked…it is now showing the photos in collections.  Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines