• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to import AVCHD file into Adobe Premiere Elements 13.1.

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Premiere Elements 13.1.

I have an AVCHD file, which I am unable to import.

I receive the following error message; This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed.

What is my next step (detailed)?

I have a 5-hour video of my Dad which I need to edit and I am unable to import. My Dad will be 80-years old in 3-weeks, on April 12, 2017, and I wanted to give this to him as a gift. My "work-around" partially drops the audio.

I purchased this version of Adobe Premiere Element last year and I am very annoyed that it appears I may have to purchase a video converter to even use it to edit my video.

Does anyone have a "work around" that won't cost me more money?

Thank you in advance for any help.

I want to give my Dad this amazing gift, please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be glad to try to help.  But, please remember this is a user forum and I'm not concerned if you are annoyed.  Take that part elsewhere!

Premier Elements has had full AVCHD 1.0 and 2.0 capability since 10 or 11.  I used version 13 for two years on AVCHD files from three Panasonic and one Sony camera.  I know that it works and works very well.

The question is your 5 hour video file.  Where did it come from and what is its structure?  How are you "importing"?

Where is the files on your computer?  Is this a single 5 hour file or is it multiple files?  What cameras was it shot with?  What were the camera settings?  Do you have a copy of the shareware program called MediaInfo?

If file(s) have an odd structure, there is a common shareware utility called Handbrake that may help with conversions.

FWIW, I'm not that far from your father's age!

Good luck with your project!

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Afternoon, Bill,

I used a Sony HDR-CX440 camera. I have media cards, which I inserted into my MAC and imported the files into a folder on my computer. If I try to "drop" onto the timeline from the folder, I receive an error message about the "missing codec" or "required codec is not installed." If I import into Premiere Elements, everything moves along - - - and then suddenly - - - audio is missing - - which, I've discovered is an issue many others have complained about.

I do not have MediaInfo.

I did have HandBrake, but when I tried to use it, it told me I needed to update. Upon updating, I receive an error message. So, I uninstalled and went to CNET to reinstall - - and received an error message when I clicked on "download."

Help!

Also, why would anyone get annoyed with someone who is attempting to help?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked up your camera.  One online store lists it has three video types, XAVC S,  AVCHD and MP4.  Could you confirm what setting you were using?  If you feel like putting a clip on DropBox or similar, I can try it on my computer.

I don't "drop" into the timeline.  That should work, but is it different if you use the "Add Media" procedure?

So far, there is no logical reason that it is not working for you.  Even if 50 people posted here that they were having audio issues, it is a drop in the bucket compared to how many actually use this program worldwide.    How did those with missing audio say they fixed it?  Can you link to where you are reading about the audio program. 

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2017 Apr 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning, Bill,

Sorry for the delay. I did a lot of online research and eventually downloaded "Brorsoft MTS/M2TS Convertor" to convert the AVCHD's MTS files to an Adobe Premiere "friendly" file. So far, so good. I'll post if I run into this issue down the line!

Thank you so much for responding!

~ Marypat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mpgmomof5  wrote

Good morning, Bill,

Sorry for the delay. I did a lot of online research and eventually downloaded "Brorsoft MTS/M2TS Convertor" to convert the AVCHD's MTS files to an Adobe Premiere "friendly" file. So far, so good. I'll post if I run into this issue down the line!

Thank you so much for responding!

~ Marypat

I have no idea why your computer can't edit AVCHD with Premier Elements.  For anyone reading this besides us ( !! ), Premier Elements is fully functional with AVCHD files.  I've been doing it for 6 years with a half dozen different Sony and Panasonic cameras.  There should be no need to spend money on a "converter" or add unnecessary conversion steps to one's workflow. 

That said, Marypat, I'm happy you got your project working. 

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements, Version 19.0, and have a 2019 MacBook Pro.   Elements doesn't recognize or import my AVCHD file so I imported from the camera into iMovie, but Elements won't recognize a .mov file either.  So can someone advise of the best app to import the AVCHD file and convert it into a format compatable with Elements - at high quality?  What good is Elements if it won't work with these formats???  I would appreciate advice on how to remedy this - best program to use for migrating and converting?

Healthy Rivers - Healthy Communities!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines