Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bug? Hitting return/enter when adding space after para deletes text

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All.

Hoping someone can chime in on this as it's driving me crazy.

Ever since the latest update I've had a problem with text being deleted, when I'm trying to input measurements in the paragraph spacing area.

If I select a line of text, then head up to the paragraph spacing options - input a measurement, then hit return - instead of the space being added after the paragraph, the line of text I've selected gets deleted.

I can click the up and down arrows as a work around. But that's not exactly a fast way of working.

I figure there's an option somewhere that's ticked itself on, but I can't find it.

Any help would be most appreciated

Aaron

pic3.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Found a workaround!

InDesign > Preferences > Advanced Type...

Uncheck the new "Show adornment on Text Selection/Text Frame for more Type controls"

This new checkbox is what makes the new OpenType "O" appear you when you make a selection. It seems this "O" overlay menu appears and is stealing the focus away from your document or the Paragraph section of the control strip. So you have to click once to bring the focus back, and a second time to get the cursor to enter into the measurement field.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My coworkers and I have noticed this bug behavior as well.

Seems to be all of the Paragraph controls' measurement inputs (Left Indent, Right Indent, Space Before, Space After, etc). Occurs on both the Control Strip and on the dedicated Paragraph Panel.

Seems as though the first click doesn't redirect your blinking cursor to the desired measurement field. It takes a second click to move your blinking cursor so keyboard input will enter as intended in the text field. The character panel and other controls work as expected.

Running Mac OS X 10.11.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found a workaround!

InDesign > Preferences > Advanced Type...

Uncheck the new "Show adornment on Text Selection/Text Frame for more Type controls"

This new checkbox is what makes the new OpenType "O" appear you when you make a selection. It seems this "O" overlay menu appears and is stealing the focus away from your document or the Paragraph section of the control strip. So you have to click once to bring the focus back, and a second time to get the cursor to enter into the measurement field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to confirm, this workaround works.

Many thanks to Mattw0023 - this was driving me crazy.

All the best

Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank goodness I'm not the only one.

Will try this out and report back. Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having the same problem with the measurement inputs into the Paragraph panel and the same paragraph measurement inputs into the Measurements strip, which is making InDesign really frustrating to use since the update.

There are three of us, working on Mac Pro machines running macOS Sierra and having the same issue as described by @Mattwoo23 above since upgrading to Adobe CC 2017. I have tried unchecking 'Show adornment…' in Advanced Type preferences as suggested but this didn't help (thanks for the suggestion though).

Running macOS Sierra 10.12

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction. The workaround does appear to be working - thank you!

However, it is still pretty poor that a new feature has been introduced which interferes with a basic existing function, and that in order to operate the software the new feature needs to be disabled.

Hopefully this will get fixed soon and an update is in the pipeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing this same problem in both Illustrator and Indesign 2017 using Mac El Capitan on an early 2009 Mac Pro. I can select a space before or space after measurement from the pull-down menu, but if I try to manually change the measurement, the line of text or paragraph selected deletes and replaces with part of the measurement number I typed in.

Will try this workaround!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this too and it's f'ing annoying. If you hit 'tab' instead of return it does seem to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further to this it turns out I can't enter values into the colour box without problems - are all the palettes stuffed!?Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 1.06.19 PM.png

Each time I hit return whilst trying to colour a font it just deletes my text and replaces it with the value I'm trying to put in the colour dialogue box.

This is not only frustrating but poses problems with accidental text deletes - it's impossible to work at normal pace. What's happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dean,

same workaround, I think:

1. Use the "Application Frame" under menu "Window".

If that does not help,

additionally:

2. Change your preferences and uncheck the control of the OpenType Adornment:

"Show adornment on Text Selection/Text Frame for more Type controls"

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

^ this worked. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aaron,

just tested this.

I can confirm the bug.
As it seems:

1. The bug is showing if the Application Frame is turned off.

2. No bug if I am working with the Application Frame turned on.

Since I always work with the Application Frame the bug did not bite me yet.

I'm on InDesign CC 2017 v12.0.0.81 Mac OSX 10.10.5. All German.

MacBook Pro with no Retina screen.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And in one case—but I could not repeat this—it did not help to turn off the new preference:
"Show adornment on Text Selection/Text Frame for more Type controls"

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We should report this bug here:

Wishform - Adobe InDesign

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you....thank you....thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

This is indeed a bug. However we now have a better solution.

We can use the plugin provided at the below page. This would also allow to use the OpenType features alongside.

Troubleshoot text selection issues

Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines