• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placed Photoshop file with text on path becomes skewed in InDesign

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't happen on all files which is why I'm confused as to what is causing this. The type is laid out within Photoshop and looks file, then when that files is saved as a PDF and placed in an InDesign document the text on the path becomes skewed. See below images for examples.

straight-text.jpg

Text on a path viewed in Photoshop

skewed-text.jpg

Same file placed in an InDesign document

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing to look at (and to rule out) is if you have scaled it proportionally or distorted it.

What does it say in the Links panel

and / or the Control panel (with the image, not the frame, selected)?

Also, what happens if you place the PSD and skip making a PDF?

And what are your settings for the PDF and how does it look there?

Much is missing, so please clarify, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is only the text on the path that gets skewed, the rest of the image is correct.

But I've just thrown another wrench into this equation. We work with Google Drive and all of our artwork files are saved there then placed into InDesign to set up for print.

Well, I have one file saved to my desktop that I've placed in InDesign and one file that is placed directly from Google Drive. The file from my desktop does not skew at all, but the file from Google Drive does skew...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, another wrench! Try placing the image from Google Drive into Word or Illustrator or Excel and see what it does!

And confirm that your image is selected and not your frame. Your frame is always 100%. If you double-click with the selection tool and cursor is a hand, then the image is selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does do the same distortion when I bring the Google Drive file into Word! So this definitely sounds like it's going to be a Google Drive issue not an InDesign issue.

I have confirmed that the placed file in InDesign is scaled proportionately.

Interesting, well my next step is I will be reaching out to Google. Thank you for working this out with me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, and I am happy to have helped with the troubleshooting. Do you put the images into Google Drive or does someone else? Do they have to be there?

I found these links about Google Drive and images:

Insert or delete images or videos - Computer - Docs editors Help

How to Edit Images in Google Docs

Also, remember that if an image is moved after placing it in InDesign, it will break the link and the link will need to be updated to the new location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The file from my desktop does not skew at all, but the file from Google Drive does skew...

Have your tried saving a copy as Photoshop PDF format (X-4 preset) to Google drive/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines