• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hardware setup for new PC to use Premiere on - OK?

Participant ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys,

I'll be building a new PC soon, one I'll mostly be doing Photoshop and video editing in Premiere (mainly Full HD, sometimes higher) with.

I wanted to ask you if you agree that these components would be a good fit:

Cooler: Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev. B

Case: be quiet! Pure Base 600 black

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550 550W ATX

Optical Drive: LG Electronics GH24NSD1, SATA

SSD: Samsung SSD 850 Evo 500GB, SATA (plus probably 1-2 more SSDs for OS and as scratch disk)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700, 8x 3.00GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DIMM 32GB, DDR4-3000 (my last setup with 16 GB sometimes wasn't up to the task)

Mainboard: ASUS Prime X370-Pro

GPU: KFA² GeForce GTX 1080 EXOC, 8GB GDDR5X, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort

(GPU is mainly for gaming some lesser-demanding titles from time to time ^^)

Apart from picking the components, I'm mainly wondering over how many SSDs I should install (I won't install an HDD this time because I have plenty of external hard disk drives to bury my finished files on later). What would be ideal for work? Would it be ideal to have three separate SSDs: One very small one only for the Operating System, another small one only to be used as scratch disk for Photoshop, Premiere and my other graphics editors, and a bigger one for the software installations and current project files.

In about a year I hope we'll see the first 4K HDR monitors with 120 Hz, 10 Bit Color Depth, DisplayPort 1.3 or 1.4 and 27-34", and then I intend to buy a top of the line product. For the year inbetween I'm still looking for a solid 2560×1440 monitor, matte (I also prefer 16:10 ratio to 16:9).

So, what do you guys think?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to Hardware forum for expert advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really believe that you should have your OS and applications on one SSD and use your third just for projects and media.  But it does depend on what you mean by your other SSD's  There are basically two classes of SSD's, the SATA III 6Gbit/second drives and the M.2 PCIe x4 Gen 3 super speed SSD's at 32Gbits/second.  With the new Super speed SSD's two or possibly only one is all that is required .

I would upgrade that Power Supply just slightly in case you upgrade anything or decide to overclock slightly

If you really are thinking about a future 10-bit monitor you might consider a Quadro GPU card

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Well, I don't plan to overclock, so I figured the Power Supply was fine... will have to rethink the choice of GPU, though!

Yeah, I'm not quite sure about the SSDs. As the M.2s supposedly show their advantage in speed only when opening larger files, I suppose such an SSD would be best for the third drive, the one with the projects and media data, and the drives for OS/Software and scratch disk being regular SATA IIIs. Is that reasonable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RauPP  wrote

Yeah, I'm not quite sure about the SSDs. As the M.2s supposedly show their advantage in speed only when opening larger files, I suppose such an SSD would be best for the third drive, the one with the projects and media data, and the drives for OS/Software and scratch disk being regular SATA IIIs. Is that reasonable?

Very reasonable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photoshop typically uses between 2-4 cpu cores, premiere with HD projects can be around 3-5 cores. so for your needs, a i7-7700k at stock 4.2-4.5ghz may actually be much faster than the ryzen 1700 at stock 3.0-3.2ghz speeds. the ryzen 1700 really needs to be overclocked if you want to focus on performance. if you don't want to overclock you may want to consider a different cpu at higher stock clock speeds. another cpu option if you don't want to overclock may be the ryzen 1600X, its a 6 core with higher clock speeds. it's not released yet, but coming soon.

the amd am4/ryzen platform is still sorta in beta, it was rushed to release before it was ready to avoid releasing with intel's new releases this fall. there are some memory compatibility problems and limited cooler options. you may want to verify the memory kit against the memory qvl and check the web for others using that kit with ryzen. corsair lpx does seem to be one of the more compatible kits for ryzen. the ryzen motherboards use the am4 socket, so you will need to make sure the cpu cooler you get can mount to am4. unless that thermalright cooler is an updated model, it probably doesn't have the am4 mounting hardware included. noctua has a new am4 ready cpu cooler, the NH-D15 SE-AM4, which should handle medium to high overclocking. the amd stock cooler included with the ryzen 1700 (non X) should handle a medium to low overclock.

the evga g3 is a good psu, but i agree with bill to get a higher watt psu, even if only for future proofing.

for storage, as bill also mentions, the samsung 960 m.2 is fast enough to replace multiple sata ssd's. a pcie m.2 ssd, like the samsung 960, can be more cost effective as it can be cheaper for one pcie m.2 ssd vs 2-3 sata ssd's. however, if you aren't loading up the pcie m.2 with multiple functions its super speed can easily go to waste. if your media/projects are small enough, a single 960 evo 500gb could run everything and then use a hdd for misc storage, pictures, backups, and archived projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what has been stated, you do not want to settle for only a dual-core CPU at any clock speed: Such a PC will choke when compared to a true quad-core CPU-powered PC running at a much lower clock speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700, 8x 3.00GHz

Adobe programs are picky with hardware and it is better to go in with item with which can easily found like the older generation

cpus and popular ones. I will recommend Intel. I use the 4th and 5th Gen and have no problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines