Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New swatch gets added to library upon pasting any text

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm encountering a weird glitch that I cannot figure out. Anytime I paste text (regardless of source) a new color swatch is added to my library. The text is never formatted to this color and always takes on the color of the default paragraph style. 

• I've checked the main indesign preferences > clipboard handling > and have "text only" selected
  • I don't have any default paragraph or character styles set/selected
  • All edits I make are being done with no documents open to ensure all changes cascade across every doc
  • If I paste in the same text multiple times, I will have multiple swatches added to the library and become numbered because they are duplicates

Any help is appreciated

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it cyan? (a light blue)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

No it's not Cyan, it's one of my brand colors. I setup my preferences to anytime I open a new doc my default colors populate into each.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon: To clarify, you set up your system defaults in InDesign so that all new documents already have your brand colors in the Swatches panel? If your brand colors are already populated in new docs, what color is showing up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Maybe a picture will explain better... My of my primary swatches is called "cranberry" and by pasting in unformatted text, a new swatch called "cranberry 2" gets added. This process repeats itself upon pasting any other text (i.e. cranberry 3, cranberry 4, etc.)

Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 4.05.40 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. What is selected in the Paragraph styles panel when you paste? Basic Paragraph?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea basic paragraph and the color is set to black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that was in the screen shot. Color can be assigned to things beyond the type. Shading, rules. If you edit Basic Paragraph (right click or double click) does  anything in the document show Cranberry as defined?

Does this happen in a new document, or just this one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

No where in the default paragraph does cranberry exist. I've even tried deleted the pre-populated swatches and only starting with black and white in my pallette and still cranberry would appear.

This happens in new and existing documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New documents, too? What if you trash preferences? Does that make a difference?

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmm, so following the directions I've found the folder and see that there is a "defaults" file which I renamed, but do not see a "saved data" file as your link suggests? By renaming the "defaults" file to old and reopening indesign a new defaults file is created. Unfortunately the glitch still exists and I'm guessing it has something to do with that saved data file.

Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 4.41.29 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines