Exit

Ease out expression

Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a layer which opacity is being controlled by this expression:

0+thisComp.layer("Audio Amplitude").effect("Both Channels")("Slider")*7

I like the way it works, but I was curious if there is a way to somehow 'calm it down'. Right now the changes of opacity based on the audio input are really quick and agressive both going up and down, and as much as the sudden growth of the opacity value looks nice, the sudden drops of it don't fit my project. I have very little experience with writing expressions for AE so I am not sure if its possible to write down expression which would:

1. take the value from Audio Amplitude

2. multiply it by 7

3. a. IF value from current frame 'x' is greater than value from frame 'x-1', then use that value

b. IF value from current frame 'x' is equal to value from frame 'x-1', then use that value

c. IF value from current frame 'x' is lower than value from frame 'x-1', drop opacity value by given percent

What I want to achieve is to allow the quick sudden increases of opacity to happen, but stop the sudden drops.

Thanks a lot for any help and sorry for my shitty english.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Check this example and other stuff on Dan's site:

Dan Ebberts's Expressioneering Design Guide

If you just want to smooth stuff, then expressions can have a .smooth() function thrown at them. Since you want to control thresholds and drop-offs, this would also be relevant:

Expression Speed and Frequency Control

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Check this example and other stuff on Dan's site:

Dan Ebberts's Expressioneering Design Guide

If you just want to smooth stuff, then expressions can have a .smooth() function thrown at them. Since you want to control thresholds and drop-offs, this would also be relevant:

Expression Speed and Frequency Control

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines