• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro timeline when playing back video is dropping frames whereas Vegas Pro can playback video 1080p perfectly

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I know I can RAM Preview on Premiere but Vegas doesn't need that and playback is perfect on Vegas

[Moderator note: moved to best forum for the topic]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premier Pro is heavy on resources.  More so than Vegas I understand.  What is the CODEC?  Something like H.264 has to be uncompressed on the fly to play in the timeline.  Can you scrub the timeline?  And if yes, how quickly?  Even using an SSD on a system built for NLE I am not currently able to scrub 1080p H.264 better than about 2 X.

What is your hardware spec?  

Would you like this thread moved to the Premiere Pro, or Premiere Pro hardware forums?

Premiere Pro

Hardware Forum

I notice we have the same surname.  What part of the world are you from?  I think my ancestors are from east London UK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CPU: i5 7500

Motherboard: ASUS Prime B250M-A

Graphics Card: ASUS ROG GTX 1070 Strix 8GB

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR4

SSD: Kingston UV400 240GB

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracude 2TB

Power Supply: XFX TS Series Pro 550W

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S Tempered Glass Satin Black

I know my CPU since it has less cores can slow down the editing process same with only 8GB of RAM

I can scrub the timeline it self quickly but the video playback to catch up takes upto 2 seconds and I drop almost all the frames

I do have Premiere installed on my SSD as well FYI

I'm using the NVENC H.264 Encoder. (The NVIDIA GPU Encoder). Footage at 1080p 60fps and recorded to .mp4 using Rate Control of CQP at 18 and Two-Pass Encoding

I'm from Australia mate! Just move it to Premiere Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 2017 builds of PrPro definitely upped the hardware resource demands. As Bill Gehrke​, the guy that works the site with all the real-time testing knowledge of PrPro has noted, it also seems optimized for SSD use, preferably the newer or "3rd generation" type SSD's.

The best part of your rig is of course that 1070 card.

An SSD OS drive with a 2-TB everything-else spinning drive could really get some boost with another SSD drive for working projects. Probably ... as it depends partly on the codecs. If you're using long-GOP codecs, they are by nature very heavy CPU/RAM-intensive files, and ... given the other loads PrPro throws at the CPU along with de-encoding, that i5 with only 8 gigs of RAM may still not process everything in time.

It's always a balancing act between various parts of the hardware, the codecs, and the software.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well you do have 4-cores but that processor does not have hyperthreading available.  If you ever want a major improvement look into the i7-7700K processor which will go into that motherboard and of course you really also need some more memory.  If you want to see how your processor compares download and run my Premiere Pro BenchMark and the CPU intensive score is the 4th number in the Output.cvs file then go to the CPU page to see CPU power versus processor types.  The faster the CPU the lower the number of seconds to export that very CPU intensive file from Premiere.  I would sure love to have a score for that CPU if you run it.  I am guessing something over 800 seconds

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines