• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exported JPG files and the XMP data in the EXIF info.

LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Catalog Preferences dialog, there is a toggle for writing the XMP info into the EXIF data of the exported JPG and TIF files.

Looking at some files created by LR versions 2015.7 and 2015.9, it would seem that the toggle is not getting honored causing the JPG files to always contain the XMP edit results.

Anyone else seeing this wrong behavior?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did some experiments with 2015.9 and 2015.5 and observed that they behaved the same in my installation.  When the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Include Develop Settings In Metadata is checked, then LR writes the develop settings to XMP.  When the option is unchecked, it doesn't write the develop settings, but it leaves untouched whatever settings were there previously.   That doesn't seem like desirable behavior to me, but I have no idea if it's Adobe's intended behavior or not (i.e. "feature not a bug").

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not done any testing but I do not see anything in the wording of the option that applies to the export function.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not done any testing but I do not see anything in the wording of the option that applies to the export function.

Ah, good point, I missed the "export" in ManiacJoe's query.  I agree, the option is under the "Editing" section in the preferences and doesn't mention export.

I just tested 2015.9 and 5.7.1, and the option doesn't affect whether the develop settings are included in exported files.  To remove the develop settings from exported files, you need to set the export option Metadata > Include to something other than All Metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you export from the original jpeg to jpeg Lightroom is creating a new file to be saved at the selected export destination. The develop settings would have been applied to the exported jpeg, why would this info be exported with the file.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is there so that folks can see what edits you made, should they choose to look for that data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Quote "It is there so that folks can see what edits you made, should they choose to look for that data."

I guess that you could choose to export "the Original" file and I expect it would have the data in the file header.

However the "folks" that need to make use of it will have to use an equivalent version of Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw to apply the develop settings.

Just another thought, maybe this could be a chore for DNG, I am not sure since I do not use this file format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know I am not losing my mind, at least regarding this....

I know LR used to honor the toggle because I eventually turned off the toggle and stopped using ExifTool to remove the XMP data.

I still have the script to use with ExifTool, so I can just add that back to the "postprocess" section of the Export dialog settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines