Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Edit in Adobe Photoshop" option not available in Adobe Lightroom

Apr 02, 2017 Apr 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so here recently I was editing a photo in lightroom and decided it needed a little work done in photoshop. I right clicked the image, and went down to to the option "Edit in Adobe Photoshop". (otherwise known as command+e) However, this option was grayed out! This ruins my photo editing routine and I have customers waiting on photos. I have a Macbook Pro, and both Lightroom and Photoshop are completely up to date. I have tried utilizing another forum on this issue, but nothing recommended there will change anything.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop. I have tried deleting the "com.adobe.Photoshop.plist". Nothing seems to work, and the support line for Creative Cloud is closed. I am in need of some help. Hopefully, someone can help me soon!

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

To anyone who is having the same problem as me!

This is the answer!

I somehow rearranged my photos after I imported them to lightroom. I had created smart previews for these folders, so I could still edit them, but I could not transfer them to photoshop. (That doesn't make sense but whatever.)

My solution:

I right clicked on the folder of photos that I was working on and clicked "Find Missing Folder". Once I clicked that I searched through my computer and clicked on where those photos were and now L

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look here: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/edit-photoshop-command-missing-photoshop.html

Axel

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the exact forum that I have already tried following. Maybe I am doing something wrong? Because none of those things on that forum have helped me at all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, make sure that the original isn't offline/missing and you're using a smart preview instead ("Edit In..." is greyed out when using smart previews).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not understand what you mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the image that you're trying to edit in Photoshop missing or offline is what I mean. In Grid view does the image thumbnail have either an exclamation mark or a white rectangle in the top right corner of the thumbnail border?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, all of my photos are in the right spot and are not missing. Nothing is missing. They are just photos. I am noticing a pattern that shows that all RAW photos don't have the option. However, regular JPEG photos do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, they do have a white rectangle in the top right-hand corner of the photos, and I am using smart previews. But I haven't moved the photos around since i uploaded them so I don't know why they would be missing. How do I show lightroom where the photos are located at?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If all the "missing" photos are in one folder, check in the Folders Panel to see if the folder name is greyed out with a "?" mark. If so, and you know where the folder really is (or if it's been renamed outside Lightroom) then right-click on the folder name and select "Find Missing Folder". In the resulting file browser window, navigate to and select the correct folder.

Photos go missing because usually because the user either renames, moves, or deletes individual photos or folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:

I just did some experimenting, and I can use the "Edit in Photoshop"option on photos that are in another folder. Is it possible that I have done something to this particular folder that could have caused this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To anyone who is having the same problem as me!

This is the answer!

I somehow rearranged my photos after I imported them to lightroom. I had created smart previews for these folders, so I could still edit them, but I could not transfer them to photoshop. (That doesn't make sense but whatever.)

My solution:

I right clicked on the folder of photos that I was working on and clicked "Find Missing Folder". Once I clicked that I searched through my computer and clicked on where those photos were and now Lightroom can easily transfer the photos over to photoshop.

If you don't know how to do what I am talking about, follow this forum and use it for the photos you are working with! How to find missing photos in Photoshop Lightroom

If this doesn't work then there is a real problem and I guess this link would help you. It's very time consuming and might not help you so I recommend you do what I said above before going this far. https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/edit-photoshop-command-missing-photoshop.html

I'm sorry to those of you who are reading this. I am a terrible writer and I am very busy now that I figured this out. Hope my stupidity helped you out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lightroom is now designed to allow you to use smart previews during the editing process. The smart previews help speed up Lightroom somewhat. When Lightroom  knows where the master images are it will use the smart previews until you zoom in on the image. Then it will switch to the preview of the raw image data. However, if images get moved or are on an external hard drive that  becomes disconnected then Lightroom will only use the smart previews. In your case, the images were moved and Lightroom no longer was able to automatically point to those master images automatically And therefore only used the Smart previews. When using smart previews only, the Edit in Photoshop option is not available because the work done in Photoshop cannot be applied to a copy of the full sized image. So the option is unavailable by design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines