Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding 'n' after an index page number

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2017 Apr 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,
I'm creating an index to be inserted at the end of a book. When I cite the name of a work or an author that was mentionned in a footnote of the book, I'd like to put a "n" in the index after the page number. E.g.:

Stanley Isaac, 132 n

Steiner George, 15-19, 205 n, 206

How can I include this "n" by default when adding the index entry? I mean, is there a way to avoid manually putting "n" in the text?
Thank you very much for your help,
MT

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I suppose "n" after 132 and 205 means the authors' name are mentioned in footnotes on these pages! Right?

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's it! Sorry for the inexperience, but what should I do with (^/)?

Many thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha! Nothing! It's just the Jedi signature!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need a script!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After checking out the possibilities in the Index Entry box, there seems to be no straightforward solution ...(*)

Obi-wan, how about this? 1. Create a new character style 'index_note'. 2. Loop through index entries and check which ones appear inside notes. 3. Set the page reference to this style. 4. Generate the index. 5. Find page references with that style and add the 'n'. 6. Sit back and exhale.

(*) Indexing inside InDesign has always been a bother, a pain, and a hassle. For quite some time, I create mine with a fully custom script (**), and lo, I included adding an 'n' after references to notes right from the start. "Indexing" is quite high on the list of topics that book publishers want and need, but gets snowed under by Insert Latest E-Reading Format Here that gets all the priority.

(**) Custom built for one specific client, meaning 'sorry won't post it here'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jongware,

Good way!

One month ago, I've written a script in a similar way! 

It just applied a "color" char style to the good pages (as yours). So easy to modify!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, thanks for your replies, but... what about us mere mortals?

I'm not able to create such a script

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines