• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resolution size vs capture size

Participant ,
Jun 10, 2016 Jun 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to double-check something.  We are creating training in 1600 x 900.  I set my monitor resolution to this size.  Then I set Captivate to record at this size (this is for software simulations).

Why then when the Captivate recording red box comes up - why doesn't it cover  the whole screen.  Why is the Captivate capture box smaller than the whole screen?

Did I do something wrong?  Or is this normal?

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS , Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jun 10, 2016 Jun 10, 2016

Ok - I made a mistake I think.  I set the monitor to 1600 x 900 when it was attached to my desktop.  Then I hooked it up to the laptop and the resolution sizes changed.  So I was actually recording at 1920 x 1080.  That is why the red screen box was smaller than the whole screen.But it appears that Captivate recorded it at the right size anyway since the I used the red capture box.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you perhaps using a retina screen? But I would never use such a big resolution, because of the resulting file size. Are you sure that all your trainees will be able to see that course without scrolling? Do not forget that such a course is deployed on a LMS or a webserver, which means that some real estate is taken up by the browser or the LMS and you'll never be able to use the full 1600x900 even if they have such a resolution. Moreover: if you use a playbar, this will add some pixels in the height, if you use a TOC this will add at least 250px in the width.

Please mention the version you are using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. No I am not using a retina screen.  This size is mandated by the client so I have no choice but to use it.

I am using Captivate 9.

I just want to make sure I understand why when the monitor is set to 1600 x 900 and Captivate is set to 1600 x 900 - why is the capture are not the entire screen.  Does it have anything to do with pixels? VGA cables? Font sizes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was your work flow? If you want to capture the whole screen, maximize the application you want to capture. Then choose:

File, Record New Software simulation (or directly from the Welcome screen). Choose Application, Snap to Application. You will not even see that red rectangle in that case.

Even if your client requires that resolution, do you need a TOC or a playbar? You will have to subtract the space that they need from your total resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - let's see...

I am working off a laptop which only goes up to 1366 x 768 for resolution (I have to use this machine).  I have a VGA cable connected from the laptop my Dell 23" monitor.  The monitor is set to 1600 x 900. Captivate is set to 1600 x 900.

I have the application up on the monitor.  I use Slides -> Software Simulation.  Th size on the Captivate pop-up box confirms 1600 x 900. I press Record and the red capture window comes up, but not at full screen size.  I resize my application window up to meet the Captivate capture window.  and then I record.

Its the capture window I worry about. 

We are publishing them as MP4s and it will go into an LMS, which I assume is providing the playbar and such.  We are not publishing with those out of Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a problem with doing a capture on a second monitor, which is not a good idea at all. Can you estimate the size of the red capture window? Could it be your maximum resolution? There is a free application, labeled 'Sizer' that could help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - I made a mistake I think.  I set the monitor to 1600 x 900 when it was attached to my desktop.  Then I hooked it up to the laptop and the resolution sizes changed.  So I was actually recording at 1920 x 1080.  That is why the red screen box was smaller than the whole screen.But it appears that Captivate recorded it at the right size anyway since the I used the red capture box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you choose to snap to the application it will be the right resolution,

indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2017 Apr 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to capture simulations within the 1280x720 size and then copy them over into a pre-made template for that size but my simulations/actions are not lining up when I play back the recordings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2017 Apr 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you share a screen capture depicting what it looks like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources